Monday, March 8, 2010

Tallulah Gorge State Park

On Saturday, nine of us headed out to Tallulah Falls, GA for some hiking and backpacking. (Sailing season is underway, so Boo didn't go backpacking. But he had a great time this weekend and that's all that counts. We both did what we enjoyed and met up for dinner on Sunday.) So, it was me, Kirsten, Cathy, Tammi, Andy, Andy P., Gary, Tim, and Akin. After a snowy week, the weather man promised a warmer and sunny weekend, in backpack terms that means 60 degree in the day and 28 at night. Perfect! The caravan of cars arrived at the interpretation/visitors center around 12:pm and we set off to hike the north and south rim trail of Tallulah Gorge for a total of 4 miles. Easy right? Well.... they didn't mention the 1,000 stairs we had to climb! yes, I said THOUSAND steps. Well worth it though, this was a beautiful hike and believe it or not, we finished up in less than 2 hours. So we started on the south rim, and stopped at all the views for the Gorge and waterfall. It was such a beautiful clear day and it made for some spectacular views. After snapping photos at the overlooks, we started the stairs that climbed down into the gorge. We even walked over a suspended bridge that was very shaky, but alot of fun. When we all made it down to the gorge floor, we took our waterfall photos and then hiked the two miles back up to the visitors center on the north rim trail. So up we went. The stairs literally kicked my ass. I thought my quad muscles were going to slide off. They felt like pure jello all the way up to the last step. Talk about a workout! The rest of the hike was pretty easy and enjoyable. Back at the visitors center, we stopped for a quick lunch break before we donned on our backpacks and hiked out 4 more miles to our back country campsite.

With our packs on our back, we headed down Stoneplace trail and to our campsite. We start the hike around 2:30pm The trail was pretty easy, very soft rolling hills. I took off with the guys from TN, (Gary and Tim) b/c they liked to hike fast on the downhill and so do I. The next thing I know, we are at the campsite and it's only 4pm! I hiked 4 miles in 1 and 1/2 hours! Whoo hoo! While they gather up firewood, I start to set up my hammock. The rest of the group rolls in one by one and by the time I got my hammock all strung up, the last person makes it in. Most everyone is staying in the shelter, so they don't have much to unpack. I change into a dry shirt, down jacket, and my wanna-be crocs, while everyone claims a spot in the shelter and the boys start chopping wood for the fire. (The guys all either brought an ax or saw in their packs.) I finish up my camp chores by walking down to the spring with Tim to filter water for the night and next day. By dinner we had a nice roaring fire happening. Akin, who is brand new to backpacking, went to change into his camp clothes and when he came back, we had field day with his camp clothes. The boy comes out in his pajamas, complete with house slippers! It was too funny. I started snapping photos and told him his trail name will be "slippers" and everyone got a good chuckle.

In an effort to go lightweight, I'm testing out a new stove. It's an esbit stove and I have to say. I was very impressed with the little stove. It's small, easy to use, and boiled two cups of water in about 7 minutes. One fuel tablet was all I needed and it melts away cleanly, so no messy clean up. I think I'm going to keep it. I also have an etowah alcohol stove to test out, but so far this little esbit stove gets the job done. I did miss my jetboil for a split second, but not the bulk or weight of it. I'm actually excited to test out the esbit again!

After dinner, it started getting chilly, so we all sat around the fire warming ourselves up.
That's when the "medicine" started coming out and the camp fire stories started getting crazier. Tim pulled out a water bottle that he filled with a Jack Daniels that he called his Medicine. Kirsten pulled out her bottle of cosmopolitans, she called it her medicine, and Tammi pulled out her boxed wine. All the items were passed around and we all indulged in some "medicine". Now, I'm not usually the type who likes to drink while out in the woods. I think it makes for a bad next day. I like keeping my body "clean" or "alcohol" free, but I couldn't help getting into the social atmosphere around the fire. Call it peer pressure HAHA! It was all in good fun. Besides, I only had a swig of each item, no even enough to feel it. Around 10:30pm, we decided to call it night. I walked over to my quiet hammock, while the rest piled into the shelter. The weather had dropped significantly and I could feel we were in for a cold night. I closed up the ends on my tarp and huddled down deep into my down sleeping bag. I shifted around in the hammock til there wasn't any cold spots, then I fell asleep. I woke up once to a terrifying screaming animal in the woods. I was so afraid to peek out of the hammock that I just laid there, hoping it wouldn't find me. It was the most awful noise. Like something being killed by another animal. After a while the noise seemed to grow more distant and faint til I couldn't hear it any longer. (Later on at the visotors center I told the rangers about the noise and they said it was an owl. An OWL! Who would of thought and owl could scare the crap out of me.)

Around 6:30am, I slipped out my hammock, went to water the leaves, and came back to pack up. I took my time b/c everyone was still sleeping. I wanted to get a good head start on the climb out b/c I thought it would take me a while. Around 7am, everyone started to rise up and we all talked about the crazy animal noise that woke us up. Everyone in the shelter agreed that someone snored so loud they all had an awful time sleeping. Not me! I was far away and had a great nights sleep. Most said they froze their toes off and the hard platform made for a uncomfortable sleep. Not me, I was comfy and snug in my hammock :)

The boys got the fire going again and it felt so good. After a breakfast bar, I said goodbye and decided to start out at 8:15am. I just knew someone would catch up to me. Well guess what? All the running has finally paid off! I hiked 4 miles back up to the visitors center in 1 hour and 40 minutes without stopping! and no one caught up. In fact, I had to wait an hour at the visitors center for everyone to show up. Now that I think about it, I should of stayed and hiked up with everyone. But I had a great morning, was able to snap a couple of more photos, and I got to hike my own hike. This was a great trip with a good group. I had so much fun and am so glad Spring is right around the corner! Cause I'm so ready for more backpacking trips. Til next time... GET OUTDOORS!!!