Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jogging and Art.

WEEK 1, First Run.

Today was the first day of my training for a 5k race. I'm using the "Couch to 5k" training program. It does a pretty good job at laying out what you need to do week by week. I'm doing it with a friend and she and I will train for one day together, but the other two days a week, I have to do it on my own. She's wanted to do it for a while and convinced me to join her. I'm more of a hiker than a jogger, but I like the fact that I'm actually working towards a goal. A 5k race. So, we'll see what happens :)

This morning at 8am, I was bundled up and out the door into the 32 degree weather. I
drove to our local middle school track, turned on my MP3 player to the music podcast for the couch to 5k (I actually found a great podcast by Suz, who put together a great playlist of music and she actually prompts you when you need to start running or walking. She has a podcast for each week of the 9 week program.) And started my first training session. It was actually pretty easy. I was worried I'd be too out of breathe too continue. But the way the program is set, I warm up for 5 minutes, then I do 8 repetitions of jogging for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds, finally cool down for another 5 minutes. So for roughly 30 minutes I walked and jogged around the the track. I didn't gasp for breathe during any of the intervals. Now it could be b/c of the recent hiking I've been doing or b/c of the slow pace I was jogging. hahaha! But I was happy realizing that I could do this (at least the first week.) But on the down side, I did experience some shin splint pain on the left shin and some hip pain on my left hip. I figure with more exercise, the hip pain will work itself out, but for the shin pain... I'll probably check out the local running store and see about getting properly fitted for some running shoes. I want to make sure I'm doing the best that I can for my legs/feet. After all, I need them to hike!

After the morning workout, I came back and got ready for a day of Art. Boo and I were headed to Sout
h Carolina and to the Columbia Museum of Art. Not only was it free on Sundays, but they had an Ansel Adams exhibit that we were interested in checking out. So off we went! By noon we were walking thru the museum doors. We decided to check out the exhibit before watching the 30 minute film. The photographs were just as amazing as I had imagined. Just to get up really close and see the details of the cloud that's looming in front of the Tetons, I mean it was amazing. Boo's favorites were the Yosemite National Park photo's. All of the photos were breathe taking. If you ever have a chance to see any Ansel Adams exhibit, I highly recommend it. After walking through the exhibit we grabbed a seat in the auditorium for the movie. Now I had thought the movie was about Ansel Adams, but it was really about the art of photography. When the movie ended, we decided to check out the rest of the museum. Lots of Italian Renaissance paintings, a huge 19th century Venitian Murano glass chandelier, marble roman busts, Chinese snuff boxes, jade scrolls, and china dishes, more paintings by French, Dutch, and American artists. Over all it was a very nice day at the museum and I got to get outside for a bit. Til next time... GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: