Saturday, January 23, 2010

Disc Golf Pro Style

Spent the morning sleeping in, then lazily watching some DVR'ed shows with a bowl of Cheerios. After convincing ourselves to peel off the couch. We decided to check out a professional disc golf course. I felt I was ready to try one out. We headed down to Rock Hill SC and to Winthrop University. It was chilly out so I was bundled up with hat, scarf, and gloves. The course was laid out all over the place and it was a bit overwhelming b/c we forgot to download the course map before we left. After driving around a bit, we pulled up to a couple of disc golfers to find out where the first basket was. They were nice enough to point it out and let us know how the course flows. Boo and I pulled into the gravel lot across from "The Shack", which really isn't a shack, but a nice building called the shack. Anyways, we found the first tee pad, it was up from the lake on the side of "The Shack", by the way, the photo of "The Shack" on the right is from the Winthrop University web page. See, not so much a shack right?

So after the first tee, we stumbled on the second tee by luck, then had a confusing time finding the 3rd tee. So we decided to let the group behind us go ahead and just follow them. They were a nice little family. A Dad, his girlfriend and his college aged son. I'm so glad we decided to follow them, because there was no way I would of found my way around that course. The course itself is so spread out with long tees and lots of baskets near the lake. Very pretty course. I'll admit I was a bit nervous playing on a professional championship course, but it was actually nice. We played the easier/closer baskets and because it was so open, their weren't that many trees to block your throws. But the trees that were on the course, must have been strategically planted there, cause if there was just one tree on that tee, I hit it. No joke. haha!

This course was a natural for Boo. His long distance throws soared through the air forever. He had some nice throws and below par baskets. I was really proud of him. He had another fan too. On our 3rd basket, a funny, long legged blue heron flapped up into a huge oak tree to watch. I had never seen a Blue Heron up in a tree! It was so funny, he just perched himself up and kept an eye on us. After we finished up the basket, it flew away, but popped up from the pond just as Boo was throwing at the 9th tee. It just popped up, like it was hiding along the bank and as soon as it saw Boo, it rose up slowly to spectate.

We lost the family after the 12th tee, then caught a glimpse of them up in a neighborhood. We had to play two holes, one going up a hill on the side of someones yard, and one going down hill back to the lake. At the 17th hole, we noticed a huge crop of bamboo growing near the lake and and interesting hole that led inside. So I decided to take a peek and inside the bamboo maze was a nice bench to sit on. How romantic! A tucked away, hidden bench. Boo and I took the path out and it led us to the lake where we saw the little family again. Seems as if the dad tossed his disc into the lake. Well, the dad was stripped down to his undergarments and about to get into lake. (Did I mention that it was cold out.) We talked to them a bit and watched the dad look for his disc in the lake. We learned that the girlfriend was from Argentina and the first thing that ran through my mind was, Hey, I'm in SC and I think I just met the EX Governor of SC and his Argentinian "soul mate" girlfriend! haha! (I know, I told you I had an overactive imagination.) Anyways, they were a nice little family and he finally found his disc. We finished up back at "The Shack" and I hopped back into the car. Boo turned up the heated seats and we were on our way home to get ready for a party later tonight! Til next time.... GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: