Monday, November 9, 2009

Georgia with the Dames (Fri)

Once again I zipped down to Georgia for the Trail Dames annual backpack trip! After work on Friday I hopped in my car, and headed to Kelly's cabin to meet up with the dames. I whirled up the mountain roads up to Helen GA and this time the weather was clear, crisp, and all around perfect for a backpacking trip. (If you've never been to Helen,GA it's the cutest little Alpine village type town. It reminded me of a little ski resort in the Alps.) I called SHOE to let her know I was close by and she gives me directions to the cabin. Well, Kelly has three cabins and wouldn't you know it, I went into the only empty cabin to wait for everyone. So typical of me. hahaha! Everyone else happened to be in the first cabin. SHOE came over to rescue me and then introduced me to everyone. I met Crystal and her dog Buddy, who will only be day hiking the first section with us, Kathy and Sunny (who is really into ultralight backpacking and gave me so gear tips), Kelly, who owns all three cabins, Lynn and Laura, (mother and daughter), and Diana, whom I met last year at the Hike Inn in GA. We chit chat a bit, but since I rolled in late, everyone was ready to go to bed. SHOE and I stayed up a while just catching up. We finally decide to call it a night around 10:45pm b/c the rest of the Dames were coming up at 7:30 in the morning. I pulled out my sleeping bag and stretched out on the couch for a good nights sleep. SHOE said I must of slept well b/c she could hear me snoring away. Oops :)

I woke up the next morning around 7am and started packing up my stuff when a new group of Dames walk in. Sundai, Nancy, and Joan drove up this morning. In total there will be 16 of us backpacking. (Me, SHOE, Kelly, Joan, Sundai, Nancy, Kathy, Crystal, April, Mudd Butt, Sunny, Diana, Lynn, Laura, Maggie, ) Everyone finally arrived at the cabins, (except for Mudd Butt, she had to work and was hiking in to our campsite later that evening.) we loaded up all the packs and shuffled three cars up to Tray Mt. Gap. The ride up Tray mountain was on a narrow, steep, gravely, dirt road with tons of pot holes, which made for an interesting drive. :) We made it to the trail head, parked the cars, got everyone situated, took the obligatory "before" picture, and started our trek to Addison Gap. Only 6.2 miles away. Tune in tomorrow to continue our adventure! Til Next time GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: