Monday, November 23, 2009

$5 Beer Tasting

So I was supposed to go backpacking this weekend to test out my new stove, but beer kind of got in the way. haha! We ended up taking my dad to Carolina Beer Company on Saturday, since my mom was still out of town. It ended up being lots fun and I got to bond with my dad over some good beer and funny stories :) You may have seen Cottowood Ales or Carolina Blonde in your local grocery store. I know I can pick up a six pack at the local Harris Teeter. But something about going directly to the brewery makes the beer taste so good!
Well, we picked up my dad around noon. After Boo helped him figure out the latest computer issue, we headed out to Carolina Beer Company. Every Saturday, from 12pm to 3pm, they have live music and beer tasting for $5. And let me tell you, for $5 you get ALOT of beer. 5 beer tastings to be exact and a complimentary tasting glass. The glass looks like a pint size pub glass. I think Boo said it held around 6-8 oz of beer.

Anyways, we pull in just as the party was getting started. Lots of people, the music was in full swing, the beer taps were flowing, and the sausage dogs were sizzling on the grill. We walk in to the tap room, pay our $5, get our 5 tokens, and side up to the bar. Boo knows he wants a glass of the Carolina Blonde. I'm eyeing the Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale, and my dad also gets the Carolina Blonde. We walk outside to take in the sunshine and grab a seat on the outdoor patio. As we are discussing the beer and it dawns on us that we could potentially taste all the beers offered if we each got a different beer and passed the glasses around so everyone gets a swig. (We family, so cooties don't scare us. ) After reading the descriptions of all the beers and we decide what we want to try next. This time around my token gets me a Low Down Brown, which I really liked. (Strong, chocolate/coffee tasting, dark beer.) Boo gets the Irish Red Style (taste alot like Killians), and my dad tries the American Wheat (taste Blue Moon-ish). We pass around our mini pints and everyone takes a sip out of each beer. Even though I appreciate the different flavors, I'm glad to get my Low Down Brown back it's sooooo good. I sip down the smooth, velvety dark beer and get that familiar tingly warmth feeling :)

My head starts bobbing to the music and I get bold enough to pull out my camera and start snapping some photos of the band, the crowd, and the brewery. I can tell my dad's having fun to b/c he makes a quick call to my brother to rub it in that he's at a beer tasting and he starts relaxing and telling us some of his funny beer stories. For our third glass, since they didn't have my favorite Cottonwood Almond Stout, I try the Endo IPA, Boo gets the Carolina Strawberry Ale, and I think my dad gets the Cottonwood Frostbite. Now my mind was a bit fuzzy by that point, but I think that's what we all got. As for the fourth token, I have no idea what we all got. It was good though. hahhaha! We decided to save the last token for the next time. Yeah, we're light weights, well at least I am :) I had a lot of fun at the brewery and highly recommend checking it out if your ever in the area. Oh, and technically we were outdoors enjoying the sunshine, music, and beer :) Til Next time... GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: