Sunday, November 15, 2009

Fall Lake Hike

We woke up this morning with plans to go on a family hike. Family meaning me, Boo, and my two hounds. We ate breakfast, then loaded up two excited dogs into my car and headed for one of our favorite hikes. Lake Norman State Park. As we pull in the park entrance, the dogs start getting more excited. I swear, they know that when they see a pine tree, it means fun. haha! As we meander thru the park, we see signs for a race. Then we see the joggers/walkers. There's a 5k and 10k going on. People are waving and smiling at us. Probably b/c our dogs are half hanging out the window and looking goofy.

We park up at the trail head and start our hike. Thing 1 goes crazy! We let him off the leash to get out some energy and because he's a good dog, but keep Thing 2 on her leash. Well, the big dog runs at full speed all through the woods. It's like he's in his own little heaven. He's so funny. It makes my heart feel good seeing him enjoy the outdoors. The weather is absolutely beautiful. I take my time and decide to take it easy and just enjoy being outdoors with my little family. The views of the lake are amazing thru the trees and as soon as we get beach, Thing 1 takes off and lunges into the water. Oh yeah, he's in dog heaven. Boo starts throwing sticks for him to retrieve and little dog and I just walk along the shoreline. We hop back on the trail and continue hiking. I'm a bit surprised at how easy the hills are to climb. I keep telling myself that I just climbed a mountain last week, so these little .2 mile ups are like speed bumps. I feel almost guilty for not breaking a sweat or loosing my breathe. But I guess all that backpacking is finally paying off. Now, I just have to keep it up! hahaha! Til next time, GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: