Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sweet 16


Since I was so pumped about my 12 miler, I decided to upped the ante and go for a 16 miler. I threw out a challenge (to myself that is. Hey, I got to keep it interesting,) and stressed about it all week long. hahaha! I know I did a 12 miler a couple of weeks ago, but it was still tough and I was a bit concerned about hydration, and even if I could do the miles. The trail I chose was the Kings Mountain trail 16 mile loop.

Well, Saturday morning my alarm goes off at the usual (during the week) 6:30am. For the first time in a LOOONG time, I didn't hit snooze. I jumped up, threw on my hiking clothes, grabbed my boots, tip toed downstairs and let the dogs out, picked up my packed-the-night-before day pack and trek poles and I was out the door. The whole drive to Kings Mountain I was worried, but I new I had everything I needed in my day pack. I packed the water filter, so I can load up on water at the stream crossings, I packed alot of food, just in case I needed it, I packed my first aid and toiletry kits, AND I even packed my head lamp, in case I had to do some night hiking. I mean I was prepared! With a full day pack I pulled into Kings Mountain State Park at 7:30am, paid my $2 entry fee for my parking pass, and drove out to the trail head. I parked at Lake Crawford campground, laced up my hiking boots, locked the car and made a quick last stop at the bathrooms.

I was officially on the trail at 7:48am and still wondering if I could do it. Well, I just put one foot in front of the other and the next thing I knew, I was sitting down for a water/snack break at the 8 mile mark and it was 11am! Now, I'm not going to sit here and tell you it was easy, b/c it was not. It had its challenges. Lets start off the the actual trail itself. Now, the trail traverse two parks. The Kings Mountain STATE park, and the Kings Mountain NATIONAL Military Park. So State vs. Fed. and it's roughly split 8 miles per park. The great thing about this trail, is that at each mile, there is a mile marker, so you can tell how far you've gone. I believe the Federal governmentt established this b/c mile marker 1 starts at the National Military Park. I parked in the State side, b/c the hours of the park were 7am til 9pm, the hours on the National park side were 9am to 5pm and I didn' t think I could make it out before the park closed it's gate. Ok... so I officially started at mile marker 3. Not being mathematically inclined, it was frustrating reaching each mile marker and subtracting 3, especially when it got to the double digits, oh the confusion. (Hey, don't make fun, I bet I could out read your ass, I just happen to loathe anything mathematical, and it shows. hahhaa!) Anyways, so I started at mile marker 3. Let's talk about the trail. I'm calling you out South Carolina. What is up with your trail maintenance crew? or should I say lack of trail maintenance crew. What's my $2 fee paying for anyways? The trail was so over grown, I was literally fighting back plants, (thorny sticky plants), just to see the trail in some sections. Oh, and lets talk about down trees. I stopped counting after I had to crawl, yes crawl! under the 5th tree. Some of the down trees were too tall for me to hop over. Which brings me to one specific tree. A HUGE tree, was toppled over the trail and half a bridge around mile marker 7. I had to get off trail, cross a stream, then climb up a steep ravine and find the trail.
Spiders, ok. I'm not afraid of spiders, I know they exist in the woods, but every ten feet I was doing some serious webbing. It was as if this trail hadn't been used all summer. Not true though, because I found evidence. Horse shit. Horse crap on this hikers only trail. The crap looked pretty fresh, like it had been there just a couple of days. I was disapp
ointed that the entire trail was going to be like this.
So after my 8mile water/snack break, two hikers doing the exact same loop came up from behind me. We exchanged hellos and I selfishly let them pass me so I wouldn't have to do anymore webbing. YES! Not more than 15 feet down the trail, one of them turns around, peeling cob web off his face, and says, so you're the reason I didn't run into any webs. I smile and simply say "YUP, your turn." He laughs and continues down the trail. I finally get up, and walk a mile to mile marker 12 (really my 9th mile) and am greeted with a "National Park Border" sign. I have officially stepped into the FED side. OMG, what an immediate difference. The trail was wider and really well maintained. I have no issues with the rest of the trail through out the Federal side. SC State should take a lesson from the Feds. They know how to maintain a trail.

The last 7 miles were tough. I was fatigued and needed more breaks, but I reached my car at 2:54pm. By 3pm I was driving with the windows down, and grinning from ear to ear. I could not believe I had finished 16 miles by 3pm! Thats 7 hours or roughly 2.28 miles per hour. I'm a bad ass :) hahha! at least I think I am. I've never done that mileage before and I'm going to enjoy my little accomplishment for the rest of the day :) Til next time, GET OUTDOORS!

1 comment:

shoe said...

You should volunteer to maintain trails. Then you won't have to worry about it :)

I am proud of you. Now I have to beat your miles...lol