Saturday, September 26, 2009

Dog, Rain, Miles

Today I decided to take my baby brown hound (chocolate lab) on Kings Mountain Trail, the 16 mile loop day hike. We both got up around 5:30am and snuck downstairs. Leaving Boo and little dog still asleep. I slipped on my hiking pants/shirt/new rain jacket/and boots, grabbed the leash, and my day pack. I was just about the sneak us out, when Boo and little dog appear at the foot of the stairs. I gave Boo a good morning kiss and he took little dog out so I could make a get away. If she knew that Thing 1 and I were about to go on a hike without her, she would of been pissed! I decided not to take her b/c I didn't think Thing 2's short little legs could handle the mileage. So she was to spend some quality time with Boo today. Thing 1 and I made our escape and were zooming down the highway at 6:15am. We made it to the Kings Mountain State Park around 7am (when the park opens) and after paying my $2 entrance fee we drove to the trailhead. It was still pretty dark and rainy out (it rained the entire time).
My brown hound and I stepped on the trail at exactly 7:15am and started our hike. Don't tell the state park, but he was off leash the entire time. He is such a good dog. He has learned to hike directly behind me and he listens to voice commands. Plus, we didn't see another human being the entire time we were out and I had a trek pole in each hand. Around mile 9, I found a stump to sit on and we took a 15 minute water/snack break. I have to say, that this time around on this trail, I wasn't stopping as much. In fact, I didn't stop on the uphill climbs the entire time. I think my lungs are almost in hiking shape!

We did catch glimpses of all kinds of wildlife. We saw several deer. Around mile 5, I heard a high pitched shriek and then saw 5 huge white tailed deer gallop up over a ridge and disappear on the other side. It sort of startled me b/c I didn't think deer made noises! We saw a couple of turtles right on the trail and around mile 12 we saw a coyote! At first I thought it was a fox, but it was too big to be a fox. It looked like a medium sized light brown dog with a fluffy tail. As soon as it saw us it took off. It freaked me out a bit b/c it was the first time I'd seen a coyote in the wild while hiking. I was worried it would follow us and try to get Thing 1 so we picked up the pace for the last 4 miles and finished really fast! I kept looking over my shoulders to make sure it wasn't following us. We finally got to the car at 1:30 pm. I couldn't believe what great time we made. Six hours and 15 minutes. That's almost 3 miles an hour hiking. Whoo hoo! My baby brown hound is a little bad ass! hahaha!

Just a couple of things about the hike. It rained the entire time and my new jacket kept me dry. It was quiet chilly, and when I stopped for water breaks, I would get cold really fast. I can definitely see how someone could get hypothermia out in the woods. I have to remember to carry a fleece with me next time. Rain all day equals slick ass rocks and bridges. I came across a stream crossing and as soon as I stepped on the mossy covered rock, I slipped and fell right on my bum. I froze for a second, waiting to feel pain, but I didn't feel a thing. I was O.K. If you look at the picture of the rock on the right, you'll see a perfect butt indention in the rock. How lucky was I that my bum fell perfectly in the indention. (and for those of you thinking it, NO I didn't MAKE that indention when I fell! hahhaa!) For the next part of my review on the hike, I'm going to write in small font b/c I'll be whispering.

I think Kings Mountain State Park saw/read my blog about my previous review/complaint about the section of trail on their (State) side of the park. Remember I said it was over grown and I had to climb over and under lots of down trees. Well, this time around I didn't have to climb or scoot under one down tree, and the trail was cut back considerably. It was actually really nice. Oh, and that big tree that was toppled over a bridge, well it was still there, but it was off the bridge and it looked like they were working on getting it cut up. It was like a whole new trail. I take it back South Carolina, you've regained my trust in trails once again. :) And no webbing! though I think you can credit the rain for that. I will say that I did have to step over 2 down trees on the federal (Kings Mountain Military Park) side, but it was raining all day and the rest of the trail was pretty immaculate.

All in all it was another great day (even in the rain) with my trust companion. Til Next time. GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: