Thursday, September 3, 2009

Round 3 GSMNP (Sun)

After a lazy morning, we finally packed up, and SHOE goes to get the food bags from the cables. When she gets back, we discovered that some little critter liked Shemia's bag. It gnawed a hole in her food bag, stole her nuts, and in return, left her some turd pellets. hahaha!

We knew we had a pretty easy 5 miles, so we took our time and left camp at 9am. We back tracked the .6 miles of Cabin Flats trail and at the trail junction we hopped on Bradley Fork trail. The first .5 miles was pretty rocky and had at least 3 water crossings. One crossing was over a little log bridge that had all kinds of moss and plants growing out of it.

We came across an old bridge and SHOE found in her guide book that it had been there since the 1920's. It still looked sturdy and more importantly felt sturdy when we crossed it. For the next 4 miles the trail was nice, wide, very well graded, and followed along a meandering river. No loose rocks, just nice flat trail. We all walked together for a mile or so, chit chatted, and snapped photos of the river. Soon though, we split up and started hiking our own hike. I put it in 5th gear and shot down the trail. I wanted to get in a good cardio workout since it was pretty flat. By 11am I was at the trailhead. It only took 2 hours to hike 5 miles. I was soooo shocked that I was done that quick. WOW. All this hiking on the weekend is finally starting to pay off! When I got to my car, I pulled out my change of clothes and my flip flops and headed to the campground bathroom to change. Shemia showed up and I left the car open for her to put her stuff in. Once I was in dry and in clean clothes, I felt like a new woman. By then, SHOE had showed up and I went to move the car closer. On the way to the car, I heard a cat screeching away. I turned and saw an elderly lady sitting in a lounge chair reading a book and not more than 5 feet in front of her was a black cat tide up to a tree! I have never seen a cat on a leash before, let alone tied to a tree! It was the most hilarious sight. I laughed at that poor cats misery. The owner must of been reading a really good book, b/c she completely tuned out her cat.

We then hopped in my car and I drove up to Newfound Gap to drop off SHOE and Shemia at their car. All in all it was another great trip in the Smoky's. I really enjoyed the views from Charlie's Bunion so much that it made me forget the climb up. It trully is an amazing site to see. Once again, thanks to SHOE for her logistical planning and thanks to Shemia for upping the pace and making me move! I learned alot from both ladies and enjoyed their company. Til next time. GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: