Monday, September 21, 2009

Hikng Hot Springs

At 10am Boo dropped me off at the Allen gap (2234 elevation) trial head. It was cloudy, raining, and cold. I was wearing my new waterproof jacket I bought from Campmor and I wanted to test it out. (I had on my hiking skirt, but changed into pants b/c it was just to chilly.) As I left for my 12 mile SOBO hike to Hot Springs, I turned around to wave at Boo one last time. He had the most pitiful look on his face. I knew he hated leaving me on the side of the road in the pouring rain, with no cell connection. I had to put on a brave front for him, cause honestly, I was a bit nervous/excited. I'm a fair weather hiker, so the combination of the cold rain and 12 miles of wilderness had me a bit nervous. But deep down inside I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this. I could solo section hike in the rain on the AT. So off I climbed. And that first climb was a LONG climb up. The rhododendrum's trees/bushes kept me pretty covered so I didn't get hit too hard with the rain and my jacket did its job just fine. (Love the jacket by the way!) I finally get to the top (3200), after several false tops, and it's still raining, I climb down the other side (2800) and over the course of the next three miles, I climbed up and down 2 more mountains. I reached the Sping Mountain shelter (3300) at 12:30pm just as the sun started to peek through the clouds. I stopped for a much needed a water and lunch break. I flipped through the shelter registery to find my my fav 2009 trailjournal thru-hikers (Gangsta and Wags) and read their entries. It was pretty surreal reading it. It was like a, "they DO exist!" moment. I lounged around for a 1/2 hour reading and munching on a banana and granola bar before packing up. I said good bye to a small mouse that was kept his eye on me, waiting for me to leave the shelter. I pushed on. I climbed up and down another mountain to Hurricane Gap (2234) where I crossed two roads (probably a forestry road leading up to the fire tower) then climbed up Rich Mountian(3670). WHAT A CLIMB!!! I felt like it took forever, but as soon as I got to the fire tower side trail I grinned and remembered the last time I was here. (I wanted so bad to continue down the AT, but was just out for a weekend NOBO backpacking up to the Fire Tower from Hot Springs. Well now I know know what's down that AT trail, cause I just SOBO hiked it!) As soon as I got there, that ridiculous LMFAO song "I'm in Miami Trick" started pouring out of my mouth. I had to laugh at myself for even remembering the lyrics. "When I walk on the seen, Ya'll know me, cause I walk with a limp, like an old school pimp, a real O.G."

Anyways.... why that song at that moment? Who know's, it's catchy though. I felt AWESOME that I got up that mountain and I just started singing, jumping, and dancing. Oh, you know I was dancing hard too! hahaha! Thank goodness know one was around. I didn't climb the fire tower side trail this time, cause I've done it before. So I continued on the AT to the Roundtop Ridge Mountain Trail intersection. I took a quick 15 minute water/snack break before hiking the last four miles into Hot Springs. The Roundtop Ridge Mountain trail is actually the old AT trail before it was moved. So I was hiking, as I like to call it, the AT Classic :) I decided to go this way b/c I was doing the Tanyard Gap to Lovers Leap section tomorrow. Anways, I think that LMFAO song got me pumped (or it could of been a hiking high) cause I flew down the rest of the trail, I even ran in some areas. I finally got to River Road, turned left, and walked 1/4 mile to the bridge in Hot Springs. I rolled into the campground at 4pm and spent the rest of the afternoon catching up with fellow hammock hangers. Since Boo and I were there for the South Eastern Hammock Hangers Association (SEHHA) hang out. It was nice to sit around the campfire (in the rain, cause it didn't let up) and hang out. Boo was relieved to see me and had told everyone that if I wasn't back by 8pm, there would be a search party in route to come find me. hahhaa! You can bet I slept good in my hammock that night too. Til next time. GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: