Sunday, November 16, 2008

Huzzah!


Today I took my boo and my parents back in time to 12th Century England. Let me preface by saying that both of my parents and I just finished reading BOTH of Ken Follets books (which were over 900 pages each!) "The Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End." So we were in a very medieval-English mind set. Poor boo was dragged along (he doesn't like to read and thinks Ren-fest is dorky), but he was a trooper, and NO we didn't dress up. (Although, I thought it would of been fun to dress up, Boo drew the line at that.) So off to the Renaissance Festival we went.

My parents had a great time. We watched some funny skits, cheered for a knight at a joust, admired some local artisan crafts, walked the little English town looking at all the dressed up villagers singing, laughing, greeting, and beckoning us to visit their stores/skits/musical shows. We said hello to the king and queen, watched people eat giant turkey legs, and just enjoyed a wonderful, leisurely fall day together. We caught the sword fighting/whip lashing "Don Juan and Miguel" comedy skit and the hilarious catholic nun comedy skit called "Hey Nunnie Nunnie."

We spent a while at the Name and Shields shop learning about the origins of our last names and what the family crest shields look like. That was actually pretty interesting. Seems as if my maiden name derives from Wales and my married name is Irish. Anyways, after walking around the entire 22 acre village, petting zoo, and artisan shops, we caught the mid-day joust, a few singing villagers and musicians and then called it a day. But not until we took the obligatory "king and queen" cut out photo opt. This one is of my parents cheesing it up.

No comments: