Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bossa Nova

Bossa Nova: According to Wikipedia "is a style of Brazilian music that evolved from samba but is more complex harmonically and is less percussive. The influence on bossa nova is jazz styles such as cool jazz " (Think.... Girl from Ipanema.)

So you are probably wondering why I am bringing up Bossa Nova. Well, it's not quite an outdoor adventure, but I enjoyed it so much I'm going to talk about it. :) I've always loved the soft sounds of Bossa Nova. So imagine my excitement when reading our local paper online about a FREE Bossa Nova music event featuring two guitarists straight from Brazil. I put my hiking plans to the side and decided to make it a date with my boo. We grabbed some brunch from a healthy-organic-free range-sustainable produce type place before taking in our mini concert at the cool-little-worldly-arty-coffee shop type place. And to be honest, my french toast was awesome! Had a nice slight orange taste that went perfectly with the crunchy toasted almonds. Boo had a yummy southwestern omelet with black beans. After we brunched, we had an hour to wait so we decided to venture in some of the funky little shops. The reggae store, which was supposed to be opened, was not. (Later on we saw them opening up about 1 hour late. Typical Jamaican time. Hahaha! I miss Jamaica) We went into this small antique shop and I found some great vintage glass cocktail swizzle sticks that would go perfect with our bar set at home. So I got them. :) We saunter into the little bakery, but don't have any cash on hand to walk out with some fresh scones. Finally make it back to the little arty shop in time for the afternoon show. We walk all the way to the back and thru beaded doorway curtain that separates the art shop from the coffee lounge side of the store. I see a few comfy looking couches, lots of chairs, and a bar area with stools. We decide to "lounge" on a comfy couch for the show. When the performance began, we were the only two people there, which was a bit uncomfortable, then later on we would hear the clackity clack of the beaded curtain, letting us know others were sliding in Jamaican time. :) The performance was great. Soft, sultry, jazzy voice singing in Portuguese with fast moving fingers on the guitar made for a nice, romantic, relaxing Sunday afternoon date. I felt like the 2 hours flew by. Thanks for trying a new adventure with me Boo. I Love you.

No comments: