Saturday, November 1, 2008

Holla-ween....

Hahaha! Thats how I spent my Halloween. Outdoors and hollering so loud that I made my voice hoarse. NO, I was not being scared, I was doing the scaring! Boo and I volunteered at the US Whitewater Center for Fright Night. We dressed up in masks, gloves, dark clothing, (and me in a cape) and we helped out on the haunted trail. Scaring people as they walked thru to do some haunted zip lining. It was all in good fun and it was outdoors on a trail. :) It started with Boo picking me up at work and us hauling to make it to the US White Water center by 6:30pm. I was starving for dinner and was hoping we would find something along the way and NOTHING, not even those ever present golden arches could be found. I was just hoping I wouldn't pass out tonight. When I don't eat, I get lightheaded and grouchy :( Well, we are probably 2 miles from the Whitewater Center when low and behold, we see a sign that local church (Moores Chapel Baptist) is having a BBQ sale. SCORE!! Wow.... the world has a strange way of working out, when you really need it. I got a couple of BBQ sammies from some really nice people and knew I'll be ok the rest of the night.

So we get there and we take a quick tour of the trail with another volunteer and work out a "scare" plan. I was going to be in charge of pulling the string so the pirate skeleton falls, but upon testing it out, I sort of broke it..... oops... It's all good though, we just propped him up and we moved on to plan B. After the tour, which was pretty creepy, we went up to get "costumed" out. I found a creepy devil mask and cape, and boo found creepy old man mask and a bunch of chains to clank. Oh... and this is when we also found out that WE (along with 1 other volunteer) were the ENTIRE crew that was to scare people. I was totally floored, I have never done
this and now we were responsible to make sure people had a good scary time. We quickly decided to cut the trail in 3 parts and each of us were responsible for our own section. The trail was only 150 yards long, so we each had a good 50 yards of the trail to work with. Boo had a great spot. He was heading up the beginning 50 yards of the trail. He would walk on a parallel trail making groaning noises, and shuffling his feet so the people could not see him just hear him, and then when the trails joined, he would run out the woods clanking his chains and chasing the people up to my section of the trail. When the "victims" would walk up into my 50 yard section, I was hiding in the woods and would just run out, screaming MUAAAHHHHH!!! They would continue up to the last 50 yards dodging a creepy cemetery scenes, slaughter house scenes, and the third volunteer before approaching a fog machined, haunted zipline tour. On the way back from the tour, they woud have to come back down the trail and I would hide in a different spot, behind a long black curtain that was hanging from a tree. As soon as they rounded the corner I would beat my chains against a barrel for a loud noise effect and then rattle the chains while I stared them down. That was the best, I scared so many people that way. As they passed Boo's section, he would bury himself in the pin needles and then pop up as they passed him. I thought we did a pretty good job of scaring people for only being 3 volunteers. I hope everyone had a good time.

This was definitely a different way to spend Halloween than what I'm used to. I was glad I wasn't scared out
of my wits b/c normally, I wouldn't do something like this, I wouldn't even go on a haunted trail walk. I'm usually the type that likes to watch Charlie Browns "Great Pumpkin" and hand out candy at my house while oohhing and aawwing at all the cute costumes. But hey, it was new, different, and I was outdoors. :)

No comments: