Sunday, November 23, 2008

Georgia on my mind (2)

Day 2: Woke up after an o.k. nights sleep at the Walasi-Yi hiker hostel. I went and showered at the communal showers, packed up my pack one last time, and waited for Survivor Dave (our shuttle guide) to pick us up and take us to our starting point, Woody Gap. Pirate had a nice spread out for breakfast. He fixed us blueberry pancakes, an assortment of muffins, (that he baked), assorted bagels, and coffee. I toasted a bagel, snagged a cranberry muffin, drank some coffee and finished just in time to load up in the shuttle at 8:30am. Seven of us pile into the shuttle with our packs on our laps, what a hilarious sight, none of us could see anything with our packs in the way. We made it to Woodys Gap(3,150) around 9:15am, checked our packs one last time and at 9:30am we started our hike. Leslie led the way with me second, followed by, hiker nut, nutty buddy, north star, sherpette, and s.h.o.e. We climb up to Big Cedar Mt. (3,737) and came upon an overlook. Too bad the fog was so thick that we didn't get to see a view at all. Shortly after our first climb, it started to rain. Both Leslie and I stopped to put on our rain jackets. When we got to Dans Gap we stopped to wait for hiker nut and nutty buddy so we could take a quick break, and consult the maps (which they had.) I pull out my gorp with dried fruit and munch away in the rain. About 10 mins. later, hiker nutt and nutty buddy strolled in, dropped their packs, and took a snack break. After looking over the maps and we decided we had about 3 miles til camp. So we motivated ourselves to put on our packs and continue ascending up both Granny Top Mt. and Baker Mt., only to descend back down into Henrys Gap (3,100). (Told you it was a bunch of pointless ups and downs, oh.... and remember, it's still raining like crazy). Then, we climb out of Henrys gap and up Burnette Field Mountain(3,478) and descend down to Jarrads Gap (3,250), (where we camped for the night) Leslie, hiker nut, and nutty buddy needed to get water, so they headed down to the water source. I had plenty so I started putting up my tent as fast as possible to change into some warm DRY clothes. As soon as the tent was up and I was in dry clothes, I crawled into my sleeping bag to warm up. I called boo to check in and let him know where I was. I got so warm and comfortable that I fell asleep and the next thing I know I woke up to the sound of chattering women making dinner. I peeped out my tent and everyone had made it to camp. I checked my watch and realized I'd been asleep for 2 hours!! It was still raining, and I knew I needed to make dinner and socialize a bit, so I forced my self out of my warm cocoon, put on my cold wet clothes and grabbed my food bag. I stepped out of the comforts of my little home, and braved the cold rain (my thermometer says its 42 degrees out.) I joined the circle and started piecing together my Jetboil. Within 2 minutes I had two cups of boiling water for my Mountain house Lasagna meal. I waited the required 10 minutes for the lasagna to be hydrated and then tore into it, enjoying every hot bite. By this point, a few of the girls' pots just started to a low rumbling boil. I love my jetboil. :) I am done eating by the time every ones water is hot. I went to bearbag my food then rejoined the group for another 1/2 hour. After dinner, everyone rushes camp chores to climb into their warm tents and sleeping bags. Since all my chores are done, I say goodnight (at an early but dark 6:30 pm). Climbed back into my tent, stripped off my soaking wet clothes, slid into my dry warm clothes, added a down vest for extra warmth (its going to drop down to 25 degrees tonight), and crawled into my sleeping bag. I called Boo one last time to say goodnight and then by 7:30pm, I was asleep. I only woke up a couple of times during the night, but that was only because I heard howling winds and torrential rains falling. I did get up to water the leaves when I heard the rain lull a bit, then I fell back to sleep to the sounds of rain drops pelting my rain fly. I just shrunk deeper in my sleeping bag and drifted off, grateful for the warmth and comfort that my little tent and bag give me. Til tomorrow.

No comments: