Thursday, July 24, 2008

Yogi and Boo Boo Bear

Back out on another hike with my mom and the energetic twins. This time we opt for a 4 mile loop trail. By the way, I have no idea if taking 6 yr olds out for moderate 3-5 mile hikes is safe and not bordering on child abuse. My mom doesn't say any differently, so I guess it's all right. Anyways, if you have kids then you are probably used to what I'm about to say, if you don't have kids like me, then this is what you have to look foward too. ;) We start our hike and not even 2 minutes in, the twins start with their never-ending barrage of questions. "Where we going?(in the woods), How long will it take? (4 miles), How long is that? (not long), How long? (aaarrggghh!!) Who lives out here?" (wild life), and on and on." In an effort to keep them entertained, I made up a story of how Yogi Bear and BooBoo Bear live out in these woods. We will be passing by a large outcropping of rocks that I can cleverly disguise as "The Cave." Well, the story back fires and leads to more questions. "Will we see Yogi? (No) Why not? (he's hibernating) Will he eat me? (I wish..., my mom then nudges my arm and tell me to behave). Anyways, around the 2 mile mark, we find the rock croppings and go off trail to climb, slide, and jump from rock to rock. After a 15 min break of exploring "Yogi's Cave," we decide to hop back on the trail. It occurs to me that this is probably a good time to teach these rug rats some trail ettiquette. I tell them that the first rule of hiking (for their purpose) is to NEVER LEAVE THE TRAIL. I show them where to look for trail markers to make sure they are on the right trail, and that its important to drink their water. When we finish the up hill ascent to the parking lot, would you believe the twins wanted to continue hiking? It was almost 7:30pm so I knew we didn't have that much light left, so I said maybe next time. hmmmm...You think I can get a 10 miler out of these boys next time? Just joking!! So don't go calling DSS (department of social services) on me. :)

No comments: