Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Scuba in Aruba

For our Anniversary we headed to Aruba for some diving and relaxation. Lots of sun, lots of Balashi (Aruba's Beer) and lots of relaxation. The island is 12 miles from Venezuela, very dry desert like terrain, and roughly 20 miles long. It has a combination of the Netherlands and South American cultural feel to it.
We went on two dives with Unique Sports. The first was the Antilla Wreck dive. This German freighter was scuttled on May 10, 1940 when the Germans invaded Holland during World War II and is one of the largest wrecks in the Caribbean (400' long). Its covered by tube sponges, coral formations and tropical fish. At one point we were in the center of huge school of silver fish. That was pretty cool. I also saw a flounder sliding on the ocean floor, I didn't realize how flat they actually were.
The second two tank dive we did was probably my favorite. It was Malmok Reef Dive. This reef is located just south of the Antilla. We saw a ton of brightly colored sponges and coral, which attracted all kinds of fish and barracuda (or at least I thought it was a barracuda). It ended up being a trumpe
t fish. hahhaa! I followed a huge parrot fish for a while and schools of colorful tang fish were everywhere. By the way, the photo to the left is of my boo. He was a great dive buddy. He always made sure he was close by and within my reach. I was the one always going off on my own and wildly snapping photos. :) Overall, I liked both dives and can't wait to do it again this December when we head out to Antigua!! Don't worry, I not trading in my trail legs for some sea legs, but I can sure see how someone can fall in love the ocean.

No comments: