Saturday, July 26, 2008

Rain, Pain, and Injury


I guess you have to face the fact that not every hike will be a great hike. After all, life isn't great all the time either. Like most hikes, there will be ups and there will be downs, and today was a total all around down day. It started out with a phone call at 7:00am from my hiking partner, saying she had injured her ankle and just didn't think we would be up to hiking this morning. I told her that was fine, but I was really bummed. Then my boo, who had overheard the phone call, said, "I'll go with you." So I thought it would be a great idea to take the dogs and make it a family event. We load up the dogs into the car, pull out the garage and notice its really cloudy out. YUCK, I crossed my fingers and hoped it wouldn't rain on us. For some reason the dogs were in really whiney moods and cried the entire car trip, Aaarrrgg! they were so annoying and it didn't help my bad mood. We finally get to the local trail and park by the trail head at the lake. I was hoping to stick to the plan and do the 7 mile loop. Well, about 1 mile in I got this excruciating shin splint in my left leg. I tried walking it out, but it just made the hike unbearable and again, it didn't help my mood. At around mile 2, I had to stop every few feet to alleviate the pain. I didn't even break a sweat, but I was drenched. Yup, it started raining.... After the 3rd mile and a total break down in the middle of trail, we get to the road. (I let the stress, pain, bad mood, and aggravation of not getting in a good workout get to me and for a split second I let angry tears slide down my cheeks and mix in with the cold rain). Decision time; either cross the road and finish the 7 mile loop, or take the road back to the car. With the rain pouring on us, we decided walk the 1 mile back to the car. I grabbed both of the dogs and slowly started walking in the grass, hoping the soft terrain would help the pain shooting up my shin. My boo took off running to get the car. I finally see the headlights of the car and am silently grateful. Boy was that the quietest ride home. I was so upset with myself and angry that I could of possibly injured something seriously. Which in turn, could ruin all the future hikes I have planned this year. I really hope not. And I think my boo is just giving me my space. I'm back at home and right now I've got my leg propped up, I'm icing it down, and I'm eating a cannoli that was left over from dinner last night. Looking out the window, the day still looks dreary and cloudy. I should of just stayed at home, curled up on the couch with a blanket, and read my book club book. I hope my day gets better. Oh wait.....I have a wedding shower to go to at 1pm today. Man, I wish this day would end already.

No comments: