Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pros and Cons

I've been thinking alot about my new workout regiment. I suppose it's cause I'm reading tons of books about running (CHI running), weight training, swimming (Total Immersion), and cycling (Beginner Triathlon. Finishing your first Triathlon). It's started this domino affect of understanding and learning about a whole health lifestyle. All these books touch on, not only techniques and workout schedules (which is why I initially checked them out), but also discussed healthy diets, motivation, mental focus, camaraderie, tips, goals, and having fun, (which I never considered). Before, when it came to working out, it was all about weight loss, and hurrying to do my time at the gym so I could enjoy the rest of my life, (kind of like a prison sentence.) I think all the reading has changed my attitude in fitness for the better and it's made all of it make sense. I'm actually enjoying myself. I've set mini goals for each week to increase the speed, intensity, and weights and it's something I look forward to reaching and accomplishing. Anyways, all this info got me to thinking about the pros and cons of why I work out, so I listed a few below. Just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

PROS: I feel great, happy, warm, confident, strong, and fit after each workout session. The weight loss, the inches lost, my clothes fitting better and looser, working out with my Boo, my running shoes (I heart my Mizunos, just putting them on makes me feel strong!), sleeping better, noticing progress with my weight training, getting better with each swim session, running faster, feeling pretty, being less stressed, feeling comfortable in the gym, feeling like an athlete (even though I got a looooong way to go! ha ha!), getting fit for hiking season, how working out motivates me to eat healthier, and my favorite... Boo mentioning I'm getting smaller each time he wraps his arms around me.


CONS: Getting up at 4:30am each morning, falling asleep at 8:30pm each night! Looking fug at the gym every day, cause I have not make up on and my hair is slung into a ponytail. (I literally roll out of bed and walk out the door.) On days I do weight training, I can't lift my arms up til around 9am cause they are fatigued out! Talking myself into having a great workout every morning. I need some new motivational phrases! ha ha! and lastly... the extra loads of laundry I have to do every week cause of all the stinky, sweaty workout clothes and socks!

But it's all good. I think the Pros totally out weigh the Cons :)

2 comments:

Joan West said...

What an awesome post! It does make all the difference to change that attitude towards fitness. I'll have to check out these books you mention. I still need to find ways to make running more fun during the week. Thanks for the inspiration!

SweetPea said...

Hey Hemlock! Thanks for the nice post :) I see your doing tons of hiking. So jealous! But Spring is right around the corner :)