Monday, May 31, 2010

Stars Harlowe

For Memorial Weekend, Boo and I drove down the Oriental NC, the sailing capital of North Carolina. It was a long five hour drive on Saturday, but we left early in the morning. We decided to take a quick detour down to Beaufort NC and to have lunch at one of our favorite places, Dockside. I could just taste the hushpuppies all the way down. haha! As we pulled into Beaufort, the weather looked amazing. It was sunny, breezy, and the harbor looked busy. We parked, and made our way down to the restaurant to score us an outdoor table. I had chosen to wear an ECU shirt that day and as usual, in this part of the State, I got lots of smiles with "Go Pirates!" as a salutation. YAY! Sometimes I love coming down east :) As we checked out the outdoor patio, we noticed all the tables were taken, so we climbed the stairs to see if the second story outdoor veranda had any tables. No such luck, not on this weekend, not on this beautiful afternoon. A waitress noticed our frowns, and said she had a table getting ready to leave so if we wanted to wait at the bar she would let us know. So we saddled up to the bar, ordered a couple of beers (Boo, Red Stripe, me a Carolina Blonde) and chilled a bit. About half way through our beers, the waitress called us to our table. It was an awesome table! Right on the corner, overlooking the boardwalk and harbor. SWEET! We order a hushpuppy basket and another round of beers (Me, bud light lime and Boo a Corona.) and sat back to people and boat watch. After lunch, we strolled the little town for a bit and ducked into the cute little shops. We found a great rain jacket for Boo at the Island Connection store and some croakies for my sunglasses to take on the boat. After lunch and shopping, we headed out of Beaufort, and down the 101 to the ferry. Then hopped on the ferry and coasted into to Oriental.

We pulled into our little hotel, checked in, and were very happy with the River Neuse Suites. The inside of the rooms were so cute. They were decked out in a cape cod theme, with white bead board all around the room. After we unpacked, we headed down to the grocery store for some provisions. By the time we got back from running all our errands, we were wiped out.
But we had to clean up, change clothes, and head over to the Tiki bar to catch Captain Chris (the boat captain we were getting the sailboat from) and his band play. When we got to the Oriental Marina and Inn, we headed to the back and found that the Tiki bar was packed! We joined the throngs of other sailors up at the tiki hut bar and waited our turn for a busy bar maid to take our drink order. We both got a Corona and spilled out onto the lawn overlooking the harbor to find a space to relax and watch the band and people. We actually ran into Captain Chris and Boo introduced me. He's alot younger than I expected, he was our age, but he's a nice guy. He is living my Boo's dream. He owns a sailing school, a fleet of boats, lives on the beach and plays in a band. Oh... and he drives an open air jeep. Yep, he's living my Boo's dream. hahaha! One day Boo, one day. Promise. After a couple of hours chilaxing, we decided to head back to the room and call it a night.

The next day, we slept in til 10am. We both couldn't recall the last time we slept in so late. Must of been in college and before the dogs, but it felt sooooooo good. After a quick shower, breakfast, and packing up a small cooler and backpack for the day, we headed out the door and to the harbor. Chris was waiting for us and assured me that Boo would be a fantastic captain and that I should listen to every word he says. I look at Boo and he is just grinning from ear to ear. He is loving being on the coast. So off we went to find our boat, INFRARED, and to get acquainted with all the ropes, sails, lines, etc... Boo makes sure I know how to tie bow line knots and figure eights. He shows me how to hook the sails (sheets) into place, and what each line on the boat is for, how to wind the wench (CLOCKWISE!! it took a while to remember it's always clockwise) and after a 1/2 hour tutorial, he finally started the motor, ordered me to untie us from the dock, backed the sailboat out, and puttered away into the channel. I was excited to get sailing and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. With the water sparkling , the sun shining, we entered the middle of the Pamlico sound, cut the motor, and that's when the Captain ordered his first mate to hoist the sails! I climbed up to the front of the boat, released the line on the main sail, and pulled the rope hand over hand, really fast so the sail luffed perfectly into place. Boo had reeled in the jib on the wench and just like that, we were sailing!
We sailed all day long, took turns manning the helm (stern in our case) and explored the Pamlico sound. Boo did an amazing job as Captain and I was much better first mate than Captain. I was nervous each time I took the stern and when the boat started to pitch over, (which is normal if you have great wind), I got kind of freaked and whimpered for Boo to take over. And in my defense, that was towards the end of the day, when the wind REALLY picked up. And I mean really picked up. We were going pretty fast by the end of the afternoon. We even evaded a rain cloud during our sail. From the water, we saw this gnarly looking dark cloud coming our way. Boo just tacked the boat and we sailed away from the cloud and rain.

After sailing all afternoon, we decided to head back to the dock around 4:30pm and what Boo neglected to tell me, was that as first mate, I was responsible for taking the sails down. WHILE we were sailing! He was supposed to turn the boat into the wind and cut on the engine, but because it was so windy, the sheets kept catching wind and pitching the boat over. So when I had to walk up to the front of the boat, I had to literally hang on for my life b/c the boat was tilted sideways, or b/c the boat would be going into the wind, and cutting into the waves, only to plop down hard on the other side of the wave. It was constantly bouncing up and and crashing down. It was the scariest experience of the day. I didn't know if I would make it and b/c I was so nervous and terrified, I started giggling. Every time I turned around and looked at Boo for direction, I just started laughing. I actually pee'd my pants a little cause I had the scared giggles. hahaha! We both laughed. The entire conversation went something like this. Oh, and we were screaming, cause the wind was loud and the water was splashing up at me. ME: What do I do? Do I take the sail down now?! Boo: Wait for the wind to die down, then pull the sail down really fast and make sure it doesn't land in the water! ME: What do I do now? Do I take the sails down?! Boo: Wait for the wind to die down.... etc.... This Abbot and Costello routine went on for a good 20 minutes, and remember, I was trying my hardest not to laugh while hanging on to the boat for dear life! Anyways, so I had to take the jib down first, and this was a two person job. Boo had to let go of the ropes, which loosened up the jib and I had to stand up and pull the sail down as fast as I could. I finally yelled, "Let's just do this!" and Boo released the lines. I pulled down the jib, then threw my body on top of it b/c the wind was starting to carry some of it away. I found the loosened lines and made the jerriest knot, hoping it would hold. I finally got up, and stumbled over to the main sail. Boo gave me the OK to untie the bowline and pull the main sail down. Since I didn't know how to flake (properly fold) the sail, Boo said to just jerry rig it and we would flake it at the dock. After this crazy experience, I climbed to the back of the boat and felt spent. I told Boo I needed a drink and could totally see why sailors hit the bars when they port. hahha! We had a good laugh, after I made back safely.

We glided easily back into the dock and it took us about 30 minutes to tie up the lines, fold the sails, tidy up the boat, and secure the dock ropes. After our crazy adventure, we decided to go back to the hotel room, clean up a bit and take the bikes out for a couple of celebratory drinks and a really good dinner. In about 30 minutes, we were showered and peddling on the hotel provided beach cruisers towards M&M's restaurant. We wanted to sit on the outdoor patio/porch and enjoy the breeze coming off the water. As soon as we go there, we ordered two Cuba Libre's (Captain Morgans rum and coke with a wedge of lime) It went down so nice and easy, that we ordered another round along with a basket of hushpuppies. I have to say that M&M's had probably the best tasting hushpuppies I have ever had. YUM! I'm licking my lips as I write this just remembering how savory each morsel was (or maybe it was the two Cuba Libre's.... hahaha!) We finally order dinner, Boo get a shrimp sammie and I get a delicious teriyaki beef steak salad. Again, I don't know if it was the Cuba Libre's or if M&M's was just that good, but my salad was amazing. We took our time and stuffed our faces till we could hardly walk. Then we decided to drunk bike back to our hotel and sit on the Adirondack chairs to watch the sunset over the water. It was such a relaxing evening that I could not of been more mellow. We finally called it a night when I started getting a bit chilly and went inside to watch the Lakers win the west coast championship against the Suns. That's right, it's that time of year again and guess what? Lakers are in the finals! Watch out Boston!

The next morning we slept in again and slowly packed up to head back home. This Memorial day weekend was one of the best we've had. Boo totally redeemed himself as a boat captain in my eyes and I would be honored to be his first mate on any boat. I got to sail a bit too and we had a huge laugh, AFTER the fact, and at my expense, with the whole putting away the sails comedy, almost tragedy. hahaha! We rode bikes, caught the sunsets, chilled in some beach chairs, ate some good food, drank some good beer and cocktails, and were even lucky enough to avoid rain and bad weather. It was so sunny and perfect that I actually came back with a sunburn! All in all it was a perfect weekend and we were outdoors for most of it. Til next time... GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: