Sunday, May 16, 2010

Masonboro Muck

This weekend we had an awesome trip planned. We were going to Wilmington NC (one of our favorite towns in NC) and we were going to kayak out to Masonboro Island. The island is pretty deserted. There is nothing on it but sand, sand dunes, and more sand. So we had to bring tents. But shhhh.... don't tell anyone. I'd hate for my fellow hammockers to find out I was going to be a ground dweller, even if it was for just one night. hahaha!

We headed out around 9:30 am on Saturday. We were meeting up with some others (Sara, my rock climbing and hanging rock hiking buddy; Andy and his wife; and a few others.) Once we got to Wilmington, around 12pm, we got a text from Andy on where to meet for lunch. This text should of been the first strike on how this weekend was going to go. Hahaha! The text said meet at Thai Spice. Now... we are at the beach. You'd think we would eat at a cool, outdoor dining, seafood place and have an icy cold beer to take away the heaviness of the humidity. But no, we went to a strip mall for some Thai food. Nothing against Thai Spice, the food was OK, (well at least mine was, I had the garlic and pepper sauce chicken, but Boo had the chicken pad thai and he wasn't feeling it.) I had just had it in my head that we would be sitting on a sunny outdoor patio with an ocean view, sipping on a chilled micro brew. So immediately I was disappointed, but I sucked it up and rolled with it. I will say one thing though, the menu had something called LABB as an entree'. As the owner of the sweetest chocolate lab (dog) on earth, I had laugh and share my giggles with Boo. Yeah, it was pretty 10 yr old of me, but it did lighten up our disappointment. After lunch, we headed over to super Wal-mart (strike 2) to grocery shop. All we needed to get was adult beverages, if you wanted to drink that night, and something for breakfast the next morning. Boo and I grabbed a box of blueberry muffins, a couple of b
ottle waters and we were done. The others went all out and bought eggs, fruit loops, milk, etc... We just figured we wanted something quick and easy and light to pack in and out. So after wal-marts, we headed over to Masonboro Yacht Club to park our cars for the night and to put in our kayaks.

The parking lot was crazy full, but we squeezed in to a spot and unloaded our backpacks. As we walked up to the dock, we saw that Sara and Matt had a ton of crap. They had coolers, camping chairs, beach towels, air mattresses, lanterns, shovels, bins full of stuff. I looked at Boo and our packs and said, "maybe we packed too light. Do you think we forgot anything?" Seriously, I was a bit nervous. All we had was our tent, sleeping bags, therma rests, head lamps, first aid/toiletry kit, therma rest camp chair converters, camera, water, towels, a change of clothes, and our breakfast muffins. I think all the backpacking I've been doing has made me a really conservative light weight camper. hahah! Just looking at everyone's stuff and bins splayed out on the dock made me so glad that everything I needed, I had in my pack.

The deal was the outfitter was going to take our stuff to the camp spot, while we kayaked the marsh over to the island. When we got to the camp spot, the outfitter would then have a BBQ feast of burgers and hot d
ogs grilling away. So around 2pm, we started our tour. We first had to paddle through the intercoastal waterways,(4 at a time) and dodge speed boats that were whizzing by. I go with the first group, race to the other side, and glide into the beach. We all get out and walk around a bit while we wait for the group. As I snap photos and wander up to the grassy, marshy, oyster bed area looking for some pristine condition oyster shells, I start to hear fast little tic sounds. "tic, tic, tic, tic, tic" I stop to look behind me and didn't see anything but sand and my footprints. The noise has stopped too. Thinking it was nothing, I start walking forward and continue looking for shells. Then, I hear the little tic's again. I look up see thousands of tiny hermit crabs running away from me as fast as their little claws can carry them. The clicking tic noise were the little crabs scurring over broken shells, pebbles, or one another as they try to escape. It was an amazing site, just to stand there and see literally thousands of little crabs the size of dimes, crawl away. They looked like an ocean wave, lapping on the sandy shore, all moving in unison. I turned around to get Boo's attention to come and see the hermit crabs, but I notice everyone is here and they are starting to paddle into the marsh. So I run over to my kayak and catch up to the group.

We paddled about 30 minutes, when Scott (the guide) says it's to shallow to scuttle over the oyster beds, so we have to go around. So we back track and paddle another hour and 1/2 down thru the marsh. As we stop to wait for a few people to catch up, and for Scott to scout up ahead, Boo and I notice some crab pots and paddle over to investigate. There are two big crabs in the pot! I try to snap photos, but they quickly head back under water. They look so pathetic in that cage and part of me wants to set them free. But the other part of me remembers that this is how some local is making a living. So... sadly I bid the captured crabs good bye and move along. When everyone is banked on the coast, Scott comes back. He says the tide isn't high enough for us to cross over, so we have to go back to the starting point and paddle an hour up the island from there. (Strike 3). Now, anyone that knows me, knows I can't stand to pay for the same real estate twice, that goes for trails as well as marshes. I hate to back track and feel like it's a total waste of time. But, stuff happens and you just have to go with the flow. So at 5pm, we have to kayak, into the wind, for another 2 1/2 hours. OK... so we are off. The wind was kicking my ass, the harder I paddled, the more the wind pushed my boat to the right. My poor right arm had to paddle twice as hard as my left arm just to keep my kayak straight. It was a loooong way down the intercoastal waterway and I never thought we would get there, but just before my shoulders gave out we did. Back into the marsh we go. 25 minutes later, we are climbing out of our kayaks and pulling them b/c it's too shallow. I'm walking in sharp oyster beds, sinking in sand and oyster crap up to my knees. It's horribly hot, humid, the kayak is heavy, and I am tired and hungry. All of the sudden, Scott says, "Hey everybody, I need to talk to you all for a minute." We all gather around. "I don't think we are going to be able to make it to the camp spot. It is too shallow and the tide hasn't risen like I wanted it to. We'll turn around here and just go back to the dock, where we'll discuss refunds." WTF!! It's 7pm, we have kayaked all day, my arms and shoulders are about to fall off, I'm tired, I haven't eaten anything since noon, I'm thirsty, and I really don't think I have what it takes to get me back to the dock, which by the way, is an hour away!

Totally defeated I turn around in the muck and pull my kayak over the same oyster beds I just walked thru. When I finally get to the deeper end, I plunk down on my kayak and look for Boo. He is fuming and when he gets like this, it's just best to leave him alone. So I paddle twords the intercoastal waterway (against the wind) knowing, at least, we have a final destination. It took forever to get to the open water, then paddling across the intecoastal wayterway and back to the dock was HELL. It took every last bit of strength and energy I had. Not to mention, after I went through all the English cuss words I could think of I started cussing in Spanish with each stroke of the paddle. Man was I tired and hurting! As soon as I glided into that dock, I just sat in the kayak with my arms dangling over the side. I knew my shoulders would be killing me tomorrow. I finally got out and waited for Boo. He paddles in a few minutes later and that's when I find out that his right hand is all cut up. Poor Boo, when we were walking our kayaks across the shallow section for the final leg back to the dock, Boo slipped getting out of the boat and his hand fell into the water and down into the sandy oyster bed, full of sharp jagged shells. He said when he pulled his arm up, it was gushing with blood, and the salt water was making it sting. THEN he had to paddle that last hour with open wounds on his hand, making them hurt even worse! He was ready to go. He didn't want to stick around for the refund, or to even get our beer back. We just grabbed our backpacks and peaced the hell out. It took him a while to simmer down. He doesn't get mad to often, and when he does, you know it's serious, but it doesn't last too long. So I let him drive and calm down. 15 minutes later, we decided to drive around Wrightsville Beach to find a dinner spot. We were both ravenous and thirsty. Every restaurant we passed looked really nice and everyone was dressed up. Here we were in some dirty, wet, sweaty, marsh smelling clothes with no where to wash up. So we decided to get a hotel room and get cleaned up. As we are driving around, we just decide to get out of town. Well, it's around 10pm and we are exhausted and starving, so around Whitesville, we decide to grab dinner and hotel. I call all the hotels in Whitesville and guess what... they are all booked up. NO JOKE. Aaarrgghh! (I lost count on how many strikes this is) Seems as if the biker rally has taken over Whitesville. So Boo and I decide to just grab dinner and hit the local drug store for some neosporin for his hand. After running our errands, we hop back into the car and find a hotel in Lumberton and pass out.

It's been a long day and it was an experience. We wanted to go kayaking and boy did we go kayaking. I know we will both be sore tomorrow and I know it was a rough day today, but you know what? At least we were outside. Til next time... GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: