Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ta me' ag dul chun Eire

For those of you wondering what "Ta me' ag dul chun Eire" is, its a Gaelic phrase meaning, "I am going to Ireland!!!"

Ireland, Erin, Emerald Island, Eire, the Republic of Ireland, the Land of Saints and Scholars. Whatever the nickname she goes by, I am lucky enough to have the chance to go and see her this March. Boo and I have always had Ireland on our list of places to see before we kick rocks, but I didn't think it would happen so soon. I was looking for some inexpensive places to travel to for our anniversary this year and low and behold, travelocity had an amazing deal on flights and car rentals to Dublin. Well, after I factored up the cost, I realized we would be paying less to travel abroad in Europe, then we would if we decided to take a quick vacation in the Caribbean! The only string attached was that we had to travel in late March/early April instead of on our true Anniversary in May. We both agreed that this once in a lifetime deal was too good to pass up. So Eire, here we come!!!

Visions of medieval castles, rolling green hills dotted with sheep, charming small villages, inviting local pubs with live traditional Irish music, pints of Guinness, friendly jovial Irishmen and women, a leprechaun hiding a pot of gold underneath a rainbow. These are the images that seep into my over imaginative brain. (Well, maybe not the leprechaun-pot-o-gold-rainbow scenario, but a girl can dream, right? hahaha!)

I've already taken steps to Irish-fy myself. I have two Irish music stations set up on Pandora, the traditional Irish Celtic music and the Flogging Molly band type music. Both are getting me into an Irish frame of mind. Oh... and St. Patty's is just a few weeks away! My husband will no doubt be sporting something with the "Kiss me, I'm Irish", and rightly so, he's Irish. I'll be green with envy b/c I can't. I wonder if they make any "Kiss me, I'm ALMOST Irish" or "Kiss me, I married an Irishman" stuff? hmmm.

We also picked up a Rick Steves Ireland guide from Borders last night and I've already read through half of it. Just reading about the different places, Dublin, County Wicklow, County Carlow, Kilkenny, Cork, Dingle, Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, County Clare, Galway.... so much to see! The cute little local bed and breakfasts we will be staying in, (which I find are way cheaper than a regular hotel) and the pubs we'll be visiting daily to replenish ourselves. I can't wait! And maybe, just maybe, I will be able to finally put to rest the great Irish beer debate. Which Irish beer is better? The stout Guinness or the red ale of Smithwicks. I'm sure it will be fun finding out. :)

No comments: