Monday, September 8, 2008

Morning Hike


We woke up this morning, had a breakfast wrap, and were in the car by 7:30am to go on a 5 mile hike with the dogs. I had bought these new harnesses for the dogs and was pretty eager to try them out. By 8:50 am we were on the trail and it was getting pretty warm out. The first 1/2 mile was small rolling hills. THEN we get to the 1.5 mile steep 1000 foot ascent. Lots of boulder scrambling, lots of calf burning, and lots of sweating! The dogs did amazing as usual. I've got some tough pampered pets. :) I took a couple of great photos of the dogs scrambling up the rocks. We stop mid-way to take in the view and for a water break. We trudge up and up and finally reach the top to a great view. I love the rewarding view especially after exerting so much and knowing YOUR legs were the ones that propelled you up that mountain. After a liter of water and a 20 min. break, we decided to climb down the mountain. 3 miles to go, but it was mostly down hill with a few soft rolling hills. I always power thru this section. Its like its testing me to see how strong I can hike thru this 2 mile. Once we get back to the 1/2 mile section to that takes us back to the car, we cool down and take it slow. All the streams were bone dry so the dogs had to wait til we got to the trail head so I could pump water out of the spring for them. As soon as we got there, they lapped and lapped up water for over 10 mins. We load back up in to the car and head back home. The dogs were asleep in 2 mins. and didn't make a peep til we got home. The rest of the day was spent doing household chores and relaxing. I love getting outdoors, even if its just for a bit. Til next time. GET OUTDOORS!

No comments: