Wednesday, September 3, 2008

3 Day Backpack Trip (day 3)

After a decent nights sleep, we wake up, pack up camp, and eat breakfast (2 cliff bars that I shared with the dogs). We walk by the spring one last time to let the dogs camel up and then we start our last days hike. As we hop back on the AT from the shelter trail, we meet another backpacker that asks us about the water situation. We tell me the spring by the shelter is ok, but nothing really decent until Bluff Mt. , which was 7 miles away. Then we started our small ascent up Deer Park Mountain for 1 mile. After we got to the top we knew it was all down hill to our car and into the town of Hot Springs. I was in a pretty good hiking zone and felt strong. We were able to get some nice views of the mountains. I also took a picture of this log that has moss growing all over it. It was such a brilliant green color. In fact, all the colors in the woods were so vivid that it made the the trail seem alive. It just reminded me how beautiful and peaceful being out on the trail is. Well, we had hiked the 3.2 miles in less than 1.5 hours and were excited at what we had accomplished. After changing into dry, clean clothes, we headed to Bluff Moutain Outfitters to buy an AT pin and some snacks for the road. I still can't believe we did it. I was so proud of my Boo and especially my dogs. When we started, I didn't even think they could do the 20 miles without getting their paws injured or hurting themselves. It was their first ever long hiking weekend and thing 1 never wore his pack before this hike. I was afraid he would hate wearing it and try to bite it off, but he surprised me the most. Thing 1 was the perfect backpacking dog. He loved his pack. He was amazing and full of energy on the trail. We were let him hike without being on a leash because he was such a good dog. He listened to all our voice commands and he learned, very quickly, to hike BEHIND us, which was great b/c he wasn't in our way and if we saw another hiker, we were able to control him immediately. He was just amazing on the trail and I could not of asked for a better hiking dog. Thing 2 was just as surprising. I wasn't sure if her little legs could handle the mileage or the terrain, but she was such a trooper. She never gave up or even barked and she is know to be a barker! My dogs made me love them even more than I thought possible on this trip. My heart was swelling with pride for them. My boo was amazing as well. He did awesome and didn't complain at all. I am so glad he didn't let us skip out on this trip. This was trully a memorable experience that I will always remember and one that each time I look at my dogs, I will remeber how hard their little legs carried them, just to be out in the woods with me. Til the next adventure!

No comments: