Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Ying and Yang of it all.

Today was a day full of ups and downs, kind of like my favorite hiking trails. I'm calling this, the "ying and yang" blog entry. It all started on Friday. I had a killer hike planned in the mountains this weekend, but Boo found out last minute that he had a project's deadline moved up, so he needed to work this entire weekend to make it. As soon as he told me, for a second I sulked and stuck out my bottom lip, but then I decided to take this opportunity to test out my legs on a local mountain (that was my first Ying/Yang). So on Sunday, I woke up bright and early, debated on whether or not to take the dogs, and decided that since it was supposed to be hot out I would leave then home. I was guilt ridden for most of the day for leaving them, but knew it was for the best. I packed up my camel day pack, threw on my hiking boots, and jumped in the car. I was determined to get to the trail head by opening gate time (8am). 45 minutes later, I pulled into the Linwood trail head on the backside of Crowders Mountain and noted the time, 8:06am. I had decided to loop a few trails together to get in a good 6mile hike, but if I felt like it, I could add another 3 mile loop. I started the 1 mile ascent up the mountain, hopped on to the 2.5 mile rolling hills section and was done within an hour. WHOO HOO! Great time! I celebrated too early/b/c then came the straight up a rocky trail with no switchbacks (Ying/Yang #2). I stopped several times going up this bad boy and it took me an entire hour to do 1.5 miles. Made me realize I need to work on my cardio alot harder. I've almost reached the top, when I see this tall redheaded dude that I saw earlier coming the opposite way while I was on the rolling section. Now let me preface by saying that I've been known to chat-up, say hello, or acknowledge a fellow hiker/backpacker on the trail. It's just good trail etiquette and I'm just friendly like that. So when I saw him earlier, I smiled, said hello, waved, and continued on my way. Well this time around he goes, " I was wondering if I would see that cute girl again." Without missing a beat, and probably because I'm clueless when it comes to flirting, I said, "She decided to take the harder way up." and laughed. (And truthfully, I DID take the harder way.) He smiles and says after this he's going to do a different loop for more miles and invites me to join him. I'm still stunned that he called me cute and it's been a while since I've noticed anyone checking me out. After all, I am married, and I've no need to look, flirt with anyone, and rarely notice it. So feeling embarrassed/shy I simply say "nice", flash him a smile, tell him have a great hike, and continue on my way. After a minute, I start feeling good and subconsciously high five myself for almost getting picked up. I'm still feeling prideful as I finish the last of the climb, when all of the sudden, WHACK, FLING, "Oh shiiiit!" (The 3rd ying/yang.) I suppose it's what I get for feeling conceded for a few minutes. I ran into a low hanging branch that grabbed hold of my hoop earring and flung it god knows where. Oh, and it's not just any old hoop earring, it's a nice gold hoop that my mom gave me. One of the few "real" pieces of jewelry that I own. I have a set of silver small hoops that I wear outdoors, only b/c when I'm wearing a hat, I feel like my ears look naked, (this is part of my princess mentality) so I need some sort of earring. Well this morning I couldn't find them so I stuck the nice gold hoops in. Well, I went to having my head in the clouds, to feeling like I got punched in the gut. I know it could be replaced, but it had sentimental value that was priceless. I spent 20 minutes looking for that earring and NADA. Bummed out, I finished the climb, tried to enjoy the view, then hiked back down the last two miles and decided to call it a day. I called Boo and told him about the lost earring. He tells me that we could just go to our jewelers and ask them to replace it/make another one and I feel a bit better. Til next time. GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: