Thursday, July 23, 2009

See Spot Hike

I'm going on this backpack weekend trip this weekend without Boo or the dogs :( It's in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, where they don't allow dogs :( and Boo can't get away this weekend :( So, I made plans with another hiker (a trail dame named SHOE) and she planned an 18 mile section for us to hike. YAY! :)

I get home after work today, explode all my gear out on the living room floor, and am in the process of stuffing my backpack when Boo walks in with something behind his back. He says he has a birthday present for me. (ummm, my birthday isn't til October. I wonder what this boy is up to.) I play along and jump up all excited like a little kid and start guessing. "is it a new cell phone!!!, he laughs and says no, then pulls a box out from behind his back. It's a SPOT!!! According to the website, it's "a hand held satellite communication device that uses the GPS satellite system to determine my location
and a commercial satellite network to transmit my status." It will basically lets me track my progress, alert 911 of my exact location if anything should happen to me, and most importantly, allow me to check in with my loved ones by sending them a quick email letting them know I'm OK. All with the touch of a button. Pretty cool. Can't wait to test out my new gadget! Til next time. GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: