Sunday, November 4, 2007

Remembering why I do this.


So today was supposed to be a mileage training day. Imagine my surprise this morning when my boo offers to come with me. I was ecstatic that he WANTED to go, but a part of me wanted to get my mileage training in. I decided it was way more important to spend quality time with my boo and my hounds then to squeeze in a training day. So off we went to do the 5 mile loop at Crowders. I guess I was getting so focused on increasing my miles that I wasn't taking the time to enjoy the hiking. When I would do the training hikes, I usually kept my head down and my thoughts on my breathing, my muscles tension, the time, my heart rate, and making my miles. Well today, I took it slow and easy. I took in the amazing color changes in the leaves, I awed at the way the sun peaked through the trees making the leaves glow, I took a moment to enjoy the outlooks on the way up the mountain that I normally blaze by in a race with myself to get to the top of the mountain, I felt my heart swell with love and pride as I watched my boo and my dogs scramble up the rocks to catch me, and I had reconnected with my boo. I was at peace, calm, and happy. It's so easy to get focused on a goal, that you lose track of the purpose. Today I was reminded of why I started doing this in the first place and I have my boo to thank for that. I Love you Boo.

No comments: