Saturday, November 3, 2007

I kept up! Sort of....


On Sat. 10/27 I went on a hike with a group of people whom I consider exceptional hikers. We warmed up with a quick 2 mile hike with a steep downhill descent into a gorge to see a beautiful water fall. 1 mile down, 1 mile up. We then went to do the Ravencliff Falls loop hike that took us to the base of a different fall, then up above the top of the fall. According to the ranger, the loop was 9 miles, according my group leader, the loop was 5 miles. After doing the hike, I'm leaning towards the ranger, it was closer to 9 miles. It was a 2000 ft. descent to the foot of the falls, then a 2000 foot ascent to the top of the falls. Mind you, these falls are considered the biggest falls in our region. I was throughly impressed that I was able to keep up with the strongest hikers on the descent, running in some spots of the trail with them. After crossing a wire bridge, the climb began, and boy was it a climb! I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest. I had to slow down and hike with the rest of the group, (but I did finish up 1st in the regular group.) My confidence as a hiker is really soaring and I am motivated to get to the level of the strong hikers I admire.

No comments: