Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Congaree National Park in SC


First official hike with the Trail Dames of North Carolina. 6 of us (Chris, Lynn, Linda, Deidra, Wendy, and I) headed down to SC to meet up with a GA dame (Kellye) for a nice and easy hike along the boardwalks of the Congaree National Park. After hellos, we headed up to the vistors center to grab a couple of maps and start our hike. The self guided hike was very easy and pleasant.

We learned so much about the native plants, trees, and creeks. Who knew trees had knees. haha! Chris and Lynn learned what poison ivy and a palmetto was; Deidre kept us all educated as she read the points of interests to us along the trail; and Linda seemed like a little Hemlock, so knowledgable about all the trees and flowers in the area. We took a small spur trail to the lake for a view then hiked back to the boardwalks. When we got to a giant first growth tree, we all linked hands and circled the tree, it took 6 dames to get around the entire tree! Kellye and I fell into the familiar footsteps of friends who have hiked together do as they catch up on each others lives. She's lost 50 lbs since I last saw her and I was amazed at how great she looked and how confident she seemed.


I loved hearing how her hiking is progressing and getting stronger. Seeing my friends do well makes me happy. Anyways, after catching up, we realized that the hike was already over. So we headed back to the visotors center, said goodbyes and piled back into my car. We left just in time to avoid the rain. We stopped for some ice cream before arriving back home. I think it was a nice first hike for the Trail Dames of NC. Til next time... GET OUTDOORS!!!

4 comments:

Sandi said...

Congrats on what is sure to be many wonderful hikes with your Dames! I look forward to hiking with you again!

SweetPea said...

Thanks Sandi! I really appreciate your support. :)

KR Whitlock said...

I had a great time with you guys and am looking forward to meeting up with you guys soon.
Thanks for the kind words, that means alot to me.

SweetPea said...

Kellye, Thank YOU for coming to the first hike. It was a great feeling having a familiar friendly face there :)