Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Winter Hiatus

So I've taken a small break (4 weeks) off of running. It started with a really bad run back in the December. I hopped on the treadmill and could only go 10 minutes, after running 41 minutes just 2 days before! Now I've heard of people having bad runs, but this really took me by surprise and just really knocked me down. Top that with the holiday crazy schedule of party's, dinners out, and cocktail drinks. I just spiraled a bit out of control and the next thing I knew.... it was 4 weeks and I hadn't ran a yard. So this week Boo and I got up early and hit the gym.

What inspired me and motivated me, was watching Boo go to the gym w/out me and seeing how much better and happy he felt afterwards. So on Monday, at 5:30am, I was at the gym and on the treadmill. I was sure I wouldn't be able to run more than 8 minutes b/c of the hiatus I took, but I was surprised when I ran 25 minutes straight without any pain. I will admit that I was a bit out of breath, but I was surprised that I finished 25 mins. I stopped b/c I didn't want to hurt anything.

Well on Wednesday, we showed up at the gym at 5:15am and Boo went to the indoor track to do his run and I hopped on the treadmill for mine. I was determined to run 30 minutes. I was really surprised at how much easier Wednesday's run was than Monday's. I actually upped my MPH and I finished the 30 minutes! I felt so much better and like I'm back on track with my running. I'm going to try to go for 35 minutes on Friday and hopefully see how much of my endurance I've kept. I was running 41 minutes with a goal of 60 minutes. So we'll see. Til next time... GET YOU BUTT TO THE GYM!!! haha!

No comments: