Monday, July 5, 2010

Last section in Georgia Day 1

So I had this idea that I would be hiking the last 25 miles of the AT in GA solo. Yeah, my first solo backpacking trip that would last 3 days. I figured I could do it. Well, that lasted about a day. haha! I chickend out and sent out last minute emails to SHOE, Pyro, Water B, and Speedy S'mores. I thought there was no way anyone would be able to backpack with me on less than a weeks notice. Well, I was wrong. I know some amazing people. ALL of them were going to be able to meet up and hike some section of the AT with me. YAY! So on Saturday, I got up at 4:30am to load up my car and wait for Water B and Speedy S'mores to meet up at my house to car pool to Neels Gap. We were meeting up with SHOE, Pyro, and some Trail Dames to day hike a section then backpack the rest so I could finish up the last bit of the AT in GA that I had to do.
We arrived at Mt. Crossings/Neels Gap around 8:30am and I gave Water B and Speedy S'mores the tour of the Walasi Yi hiker hostel and Mt. Crossing outfitter. I have good memories of this place. Each time I've hiked in GA, we always made our way to Mt. Crossing for something. After touring/shopping, we decide to repack our packs. You see, I just couldn't end my 25 mile section with a straight shot, I had to get creative and divide it up into a 7 mile day hike with the Trail Dames from Hogpen Gap to Neels Gap. Then I'd finish up my last 18 miles backpacking from Tray Gap to Hogpen Gap. hahah! It's complicated, but it works for me :)

SHOE finally arrives and I hug her hello. This is when I find out that she can't finish the last 25 miles with me :( My heart sank for a second. After all, SHOE has climbed every inch of GA up to this point with me and I was looking forward to closing it out with her. Seems as if that nagging pain she gets in her left foot was actually something serious. So her doctor told her to stay off it a while. Even though she couldn't hike with me, she still came up to shuttle us around and make sure the other Dames got in a good day hike. I'll missed her on the trip, but she was with me in spirit.

The rest of the group finally showed up. Shemea! Yay! I hadn't seen her since Trail Magic in April and I hadn't hiked with her since last summer, so I was looking forward to catching up. I also meet two new Trail Dames, Shelley and Latrice. They have hiked b/f but are brand new to Trail Dames and this is their first outing. We shuttle up to Hogpen Gap, (where I'm leaving my car),where we are meeting up with Pyro, and begin our 7 mile hike back to Neels Gap. We start out with a climb, but not a big one and everyone is doing great. We stop on Cowruck Mt. for a nice snack break and to take in the view. It's a bit hazy, but the view is still amazing. I catch up with Shemea here,and that was the last time I saw her. She's a fast hiker! haha! Pyro and I hung back with the newbies and made sure they were OK and have enough water.

It was a loooong day. It took us over 7 hours to hike 7 miles and it was HOT! But I think the newbies had a good time. They certainly learned a lot and found out what it took to hike the AT. hahaha! I have to give them some props though. For their first hike, they went out, guns blazing, and hiked on the AT. I asked each if they would do it all over again and both replied NO! Not until they got some good miles under their belts. Either way, they did it and it was a giant feat. I made sure to let them both know that they were hard core for hiking this trail as their first hike. When we climbed down into Neels Gap, and we were greeted with a round of applause. SHOE, Shemea, Water B and Speedy S'mores were all there cheering us on as we pulled up. It must of made the newbies feel awesome, b/c the look on their faces said it all. They also had a cold drink waiting for us and I spotted a Sprite with my name all over it! After pictures and good byes, SHOE shuttles us over to Tray Gap to begin the next section of our hike.

Around 7pm we said good bye to SHOE. Pyro, Water B, me, and Speedy S'mores decided to hike the mile down to Cheese Factory to spend the night. When we get there, there is already a nice fire going and we meet a young couple named Johnnie and Sammie. They were just out for an overnight and were enjoying a nice fire. They invited us to come over, so after we set up our camps, we gather around the campfire where we are offered S'mores. This is how Speedy S'mores got her name, you see, she ate 5 s'mores and passed out immediately. All the sugar in her body and she goes to bed early! She must of been tired! Well, the rest of us soon follow suit. It's been a long day and we have a nice couple of climbs tomorrow. So, til next time... GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: