Friday, June 25, 2010

NESCO BABY!!

So after drooling over Pyro and Hemlocks yummy dehydrated dinners and lunches over our recent back pack trip in early June, I knew I wanted to get a dehydrator. Well imagine my surprise and gratitude when Pyro offers to let me borrow her NESCO dehydrator!! YEAH!! WHOO HOO!! Thank you so much Kellye!!!(Pyro), I really, really, REALLY appreciate it. Now let's hope I can concoct some good (edible) eats for the trail like you guys had.


Well, I actually was able to dehydrate a couple of "easy" items. I bought two cans of mandarin oranges and 3 apples that I sliced up and sprinkled with cinnamon. I wanted to start out slow. hahah! I laid out the oranges on one tray then the apple slices on the other four trays. I plugged the one set temperature dehydrator on before I left for work and let the magic happen.

When I came home that night, it was still running smoothly, but I knew the fruit had a couple more hours, so I went about my nightly routine, (change clothes, fix dinner, catch up on DVR) and by 8pm, I checked in on the dehydrator again. I calculated that I had it on for roughtly 12 hours. The fruit looked dried, so I turned it off and let the trays cool down a bit. The apples were perfect! The mandrin oranges could of used a bit more time, but they were yummy. I can't wait to try them on my backpack trip this weekend! Once I get my own dehydrator I'm so experimenting. I was kind of scared to dehydrate some chili on Pryo's dehydratoor. I'm afraid I'll ruin it. haha! Got to go! Off to research some freezer bag cooking websites! Til next time... GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: