Saturday, August 22, 2009

First 12 miler!!!!

Whoo hoo! I just completed my first 12.4 miler !!! (it may not seem like a lot to you guys, but I've been wanting to up my hiking miles FOREVER!!) I took a chance today, since I've been doing 9 milers, I figured I could push it. I am so stoked :) It all started with a trip to our local mountain state park to check out the new section of trail. It's pretty cool actually. This section of trail will officially connect three parks in two states. It will connect Crowders Mountain State Park (in NC) to Kings Mountain State Park (in SC) and Kings Mountain National Military Park (in SC, a federal park, and it is one of two Revolutionary War National Military Parks. I got this straight off the website at www.nps.gov.kimo) So all these parks are going to be linked, not to mention two STATES are going to be linked, all because of this little trail. By the way, Boo and I helped build this trail! Last year we joined REI on Trail days, and helped clear weeds, shovel dirt, create water shed routes, and move rocks. That was some hard work! and all we got was a t-shirt. hahhaa! Just kidding, they fed us lunch, made sure we had plenty of water, and that t-shirt? Well, it was a performance shirt that I still wear on my hikes til this day :) All in all, I could not wait to step foot on this trail. It opened up in April of this year, but I haven't been bold enough to check it out. You have to be able to do 12.4 miles, an out and back trail.

From the new Boulder access trail head, it's 6.2 miles to Kings Pinnacle and then 6.2 miles back. The terrain was rolling with a few heart pumping climbs to break it up a bit. The first 1/2 mile is straight down, (so you know what that means... the last .5 miles you climb, after hiking 12 miles are straight up!) There are three climbs in the middle and then a mile straight up climb to reach Kings Pinnacle. So it's pretty tough either way you go.

I woke up early, ate breakfast, and zoomed down to Crowders Mountain. I checked in with the ranger, got my permit, and started my hike at exactly 8am. I put down on my permit that I would probably be back around 6-7pm b/c I just knew it would take me ALL day. Well guess what? At 11am, I was sitting pretty and having lunch on top of Kings Pinnacle. I had hiked 6.2 miles in 3 hours! I know the trail runner that passed me must of thought I was nuts! Because, there I was, dripping with sweat and grinning like a fool. hahha! I was so shocked and excited that I had finished that fast (at least fast for me). I only took a 15 minute lunch break to eat a banana, granola bar, and to assess myself. Did I feel tired? No. Did I my feet feel sore? No. Did I think I could hike another 6.2 miles back to my car? Hell yeah! I told myself it would be AWESOME if I could make it back in 3 hours, but that I would be happy if I was back at my car by 4pm. As the afternoon wore on, the sun got hotter and I started to feel the climbs. I think it was around mile 10 that I really started feeling it. Thank goodness this trail has little benches you can stop and sit on every other mile. I took full advantage of each bench I passed. At one point I knew it was getting dangerous, when I stopped to catch my breathe on a climb and I felt like my legs and face were on fire. I also got chills. Who gets chills on a 93 degree day? A dehydrated person, that's who. I was feeling symptoms of dehydration, even though I brought two liters of water flavored with Gatorade powder to replenish my electrolytes. Thank goodness I only had 1 mile left. I know, I know. I should of been hydrated. Well, I thought I was. I know realize I need to drink gallons of water the day before I go on any long hikes during the summer and make sure I have plenty of water AND actually drink it. Lesson learned, trust me.

I finally climbed up that last KILLER half mile to the ranger station I looked at my watch and it was 1:59pm. I made it back by 2pm!!!!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!! I did it! I was so happy to complete my first 12 miler and the icing on the cake was finishing it up by 2pm. I filled my nalgene bottles up and drank two liters of water b/f I got home. The best thing about getting home that early, was that I was able to get cleaned up, have dinner, and catch a movie with Boo. AND, I felt great! You would of thought I'd pass out and sleep the rest of the day away, but surprisingly I was full of energy. Must of been the hiker high :) Til next time.... GET OUTDOORS!!!

No comments: