Saturday, August 1, 2009

Double Dose

Today I pulled some double duty. Boo and I went for a nice 5 mile hike at a local park then played 9 holes of disc golf. The hike was pretty easy with some nice rolling hills, nothing to crazy. Although I did get a harsh reminder that I need to start out slow and warm up before I blaze down the trail. The first mile plagued me with a gnarly shin splint on my left leg. (Not fun) My other leg decided it wanted to cramp up at the calf. So the first mile made me a bit upset, but I learned from it. I told Boo to go ahead without me and I went at a snails pace, stretching out my calf pain and stretching out the shin splint. At the trail head turn off I met up with Boo (he was waiting for me) and I stopped and stretched for a while. When we started back up, I felt a bit better and we started making some excellent time. By mile 3 we were blazing down the trail sweating bullets!

It's been a while since I've been to this park and as I'm hiking, memories of previous times spent on this trail start floating around my head. A long time ago, I used to have a Black Lab named Jackson. He and I, along with my mom's German Shepard Sam, hiked these trails so much, we knew all of them by heart. I couldn't help but think of them. (Both passed on). Remembering how the Lab was always exploring ahead with his nose to the ground, probably hoping to find some interesting scent to lead him down the trail. And the dutiful Shepard, never leaving my side. After our work out, I would take them to the lake, sit on the bench, and toss sticks out for them to retrieve. Yes, the Shepard was an amazing swimmer AND retriever. They were my little companions, always ready for an adventure. They kept me safe, in shape, and smiling. Walking this trail again made me miss them both.

After our hike, we drove up to the disc golf course and played 9 holes. We powered thru them so quick, I actually got a second work out. We decided to stop after 9 holes because;
1. lots of mud
2. we were tired, and
3. we were meeting my parents at their house for lunch!

We spent a nice morning outdoors. Til next time....

No comments: