Thursday, August 11, 2011

Saturday Sailing


Since I finished up my hike earlier than anticipated, I was able to be home to go sailing with Boo! We woke on Saturday morning and headed to the lake. I was going to help crew on his boat for a few regatta races. He was grinning from ear to ear, I think he secretly loves it when I come out and sail with him, because he's the captain and as his swabby first mate, I have to listen to all his orders. haha! I, on the other hand, was a bit nervous. You see, I've never gotten my sea legs. Not even an inkling of one. I'm a diehard land lubber. I think the fear of being shark bait has alot to do with it. Plus, I still have a hard time with all the sailing vocabulary. Like why can't you just say, "pull up the sails on the front of the boat!" Instead I have to hear things like, "prepare to tack" or "hoist the jib sheet to the port side" HUH???? haha! I'm sailing iliterate. To be quite honest, I'm not even sure if that last quote is even a legit sailing command. I just jumbled a bunch of words I had heard all day to make it "saily" sounding. Sorry Boo, please don't have a coronary attack over this blog. haha! I totally respect what you do. I admire, envy, and am very proud that you're such a good sailor. I wish I was more of the wench you want me to be. (haha!) Maybe I'll work on that more. I mean, who doesn't fantasize about being a pirate wench every now and then? haha!
Serious, I am very proud and in awe at what you can do on a boat. I feel safe knowing your the captain of the ship :)

So as the day goes, I was a big help on the boat today..... NOT. I took my usual chill spot and chilled all day long as Boo and Sean sailed us through 4 races. We came in second twice, dead last once, and a resectable 4th place on another. All in in it was a great day to be on the water and a fantastic way to relax after a week of hiking in the mountains. I can see why Boo loves sailing so much,. It's just as peaceful as being out in the woods.

Til next time... GET OUTDOORS!!!


No comments: