Monday, May 25, 2009

Mom's Pond

So on Boo's suggestion, we decided to become manual labor for mother day this year. My mom has be talking about installing a pond with a fountain in her yard for a few years now. We got up bright and early (7am) on Sunday, drove up to my mom's and commenced the digging. Hahaha! Not that easy. It's my family we're talking about, so you know it won't be that easy.

We arrived around 8am and in true mom fashion, she wasn't even dressed yet and wanted to make a big breakfast for everyone. I told her it would be best to get started on this project as early as possible, and then have a late lunch. She gave up, showed us what she bought and where she wanted the pond to be put in, and went to change clothes. Boo checked it out and realized my mom didn't buy a pump, but a filter only kit, so he and my dad had to go back to Home Depot to return the filter and buy the right pump/fountain/filter kit. My mom and I started digging, because if you would of sent us; 1. we would have no idea what to buy and 2. we would of spent half a day in the garden section just tooling around. So even though we got stuck with the dirty job, it was a smart move. Boo and dad were back in a flash and helping us finish the hole.

At some point, I'm not sure how it started, but my mom said she wanted to get rid of some of her forsythia bushes and I said I would love to take them and transplant them in my yard. So we both started digging up all 8 full grown bushes to load up on a truck and bring down to my house. (See how our minds wander from the project at hand.) Boo and dad finished up the hole and dropped the pond in to make sure it was deep enough. Perfect! Now with the pond in place, and the bushes pulled and loaded onto the truck, we had to collect these huge rocks to go around the pond's edge to give it a natural look. So we went around my mom's property and pulled up some of the landscaping rocks to place them around the pond. While my mom, dad, me, and the twins my mom sometimes watches did this, Boo buried the electrical extension cord that would be hooked up to the fountain and pump/filter and put the pump/filter together. After the stones were in place, we let the pond fill up with water while we had a late lunch. We tested out the fountain and it worked! YAY BOO!

Well, you would think our day is over by now right? WRONG. My mom said that if we transplant the forsythia now, because there will be a full moon tonight the bushes will live and develop deep roots. (Ummmm.... ok... I suppose I need all the help I could get if I want plants to survive in my black thumbed house. I am notorious for killing house plants, so I'll fall for that "planting on a full moon is good for my new plants" spiel. hahaha!) Off we go to my house for an evening of more hole digging, (eight holes to be exact), transplanting, and watering. My mom is a strong lady, I was feeling faint and like I needed a nap, but she had more then enough energy and kept us going.

The next morning, my back felt so bad, I called in sick. I couldn't move! I spent the entire day in bed. But the best part, was when my dad called. He said the my mom got up early and with coffee in hand, went out to fiddle with her pond. She planted flowers and various plants around the rocks to make it look inviting and when he went out to see what she was up to, she said that this was the best mothers day gift she ever got. SCORE!!!! all these years of stressing over the perfect mothers day gift. hahha! My little heart swelled up and I think I had a permanent grin on for the rest of the day. Happy mothers day mom. I love you! Til next time. GET OUTDOORS!

No comments: