Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Amicalola Falls (2)

(Soft, rhythmic drums humming in the background) pa-dah pa-dah pa pa, pa-dah pa-dah pa pa.....) I slowly wake up, thinking it's my heart that I hear beating. What a nice easy sound to wake up too. The drums were just loud enough to wake you up, but not so loud they disturb your restful sleep. The Inn does this every single morning, all year around. Around 15 minutes before sunrise, an employee walks around the bunk house strumming a bongo drum softly as a "natural" wake up call.

I looked at my watch and its 7am. Wow.... I slept like a rock! I had about 15 minutes to catch the sunrise. I slipped into my crocs, slid on my down vest and fleece, grabbed my camera, and headed out the door. I walked down to the star base area and caught the most serene sunrise eventough it was a chilly 28 degrees out and the ground was crunchy with frost. After several snapshots and a few minutes of introspection, I headed back to my room to pack up b/f breakfast. I changed back into my hiking clothes and boots and took apart the bed linens. My pack was packed and ready to go at about 7:55am, just in time for breakfast. I grabbed my mug and cup, scooped up my linens in the other hand, headed out the door, and dropped off the linens in the laundry bin along the way to the dining hall. As soon as I opened the dining room doors, the heavenly aroma of bacon hit me like a brick wall. My stomach did a happy flip in anticipation. :) I filled up my mug with fresh coffee and topped off my cup with lemonade before taking a seat. Everyone was slowly filing in still in their P.J.'s. Then the food started come out the kitchen and the chatter started to rise. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, hash browns, coffee, and some sort of raisin skillet bread. After breakfast and some conversation. I decided to walk around the Inn one last time before I started my 5 mile trek back to my car. I took a few minutes to take in the views, trying to burn them into my memory.




Well, it had warmed up to a nice 31 degrees! YEAH! (sarcastically rolling my eyes. hahhaha!! ) Man, I have never experienced such bone chilling weather, than I have in the usually swamp hot state of Georgia. It is brrrrr brrrr, teeth chattering cold. Even with all my warm layers on, I know I still have to hike fast in order to keep warm. Even though most of todays hike is down hill with a few PUDS, it was windy like you wouldn't believe. I head up to my room, put on my gloves, my pack, and click my trek poles in to place. I look over the room one last time and then close the door. I turn my key over to Muddbutt to check it back in for me, since its 8:45am and check out is at 9am. (No, I couldn't wait 15 more minutes. hahaha!) Then, I was off. I hiked down the first two miles in about 30 minute (pretty fast even by my standards). Then came the uphill ascent up for a mile. I ran into two very nice older gentlemen who are out for a day hike. They didn't have a map so I gave them mine, since I wouldn't be needing it any longer. They were so excited to hear about my stay at the Hike Inn (especially about the food) hahahhaa! I humored them, then they switched the subject to gear. They were such gearheads. They even made me spin around to check out my pack! :) We spent 15 minutes (remember its brutally cold!) discussing everything from boots, to packs, to trek poles. They got a kick out of my thermometer/compass/whistle combo that hangs from my pack. It was a great talk, but when my teeth started chattering, and the sweat on my back started turning into icicles, I knew I had to graciously say goodbye. Nice men though. Had to be at least in their 60's and one was even wearing shorts! I hope the map helps, I even told them about a loop hike they could do by taking the Appalachian Approach trail back if they didn't want to back track the same trail. Well, I finally made it back to my car in record speed. I was snug as a bug in my heated seats, and flying down the road home bound by 11am. I had a wonderful time and I hope to make it back to Amicacolola Falls Hike Inn again, this time with Boo and sometime in the spring or summer. ;) Til next time, GET OUTDOORS!

No comments: